Chapter 14: Mall

Recap:

I smile and head over to the table where the heavenly pancakes await to be eaten.

After I finish eating, I grab the money my mom left and head upstairs to my room in order to get dressed. I'm excited for today, it's been a while since I've gone out with a friend. I have a good feeling about Annie, I feel like she won't be like the other people whom I once called friends. I made a promise to both myself and my mother and this time I can't break it.

-

I'm staring at the pile of clothes in front of me. What have I done? It's a mess. I'm usually not the type to stay hours deciding on what to wear. However, today I have no idea what has gotten into me, I can't decide on what to wear. In situations like these, I'd always have Veronica to help me out. Since she was a fashion craze, she was always there to save the day with all her tips. But now, I'm on my own. She's not here to help me anymore. 

A few minutes later, my phone starts ringing snapping me out of my trance. I check the caller I.D. and it says it's an unsaved number on my contacts. That's weird. I slide my thumb across the screen, and put the phone to my ear, "Hello".

"Violet, it's me, Annie."

"Oh. Hey, what's up?" I say as I wonder how she must've gotten my number. 

"Not much, just stuffing my face with pancakes. Listen, I called to ask if you want to ride together to the mall? I can come pick you up." She asks.

"Yeah sure, that'd be great," I say, feeling relieved. I didn't plan on how I was going to get to the mall, it's at least a 20-minute car ride there, and I have no car.

"Great, just text me your address and I'll be there in 10." She says, "Oh and by the way, you must be wondering how I got your number. I occasionally volunteer at the school office, so it was easy to get a hold of your number." She adds.

I chuckle, "Okay, that makes sense."

She closes the line, and I quickly text her my address. I head back over to my closet. I still haven't decided on what to wear, so I decide to fix up my hair and face and then get dressed. I only have ten minutes to get all of that done. 

I look in the mirror and notice the pimples on my face are finally fading away. Great, my skin is finally working with me. All I have to do is cover my hideous dark circles. I grab the concealer and apply some of it to my dark circles. I proceed to blend it out with the sponge, then I add a dash of mascara and lip balm. I look back in the mirror, I look presentable. Checking the clock, 5 minutes have passed, so I quickly untie my hair and run the hairbrush through it. I decide to let it down today, it surprisingly doesn't look bad.

I turn back to my closet to pick out anything to put on, but I'm interrupted by the ringing sound of the doorbell. She was serious when she said she needs only 10 minutes.

I quickly head downstairs and open the front door. Annie is standing on the porch, looking great. "Hey." She greets me with a smile

I smile back, "Come on in." She comes inside and then looks at me. "You still didn't get dressed?" She asks with a light chuckle.

I shrug, "Well, I had no idea what to wear."

"And that's where I come in to save the day." She says.

I laugh and then head upstairs while Annie follows. We go inside, and she looks around. "Your room is nice." 

"Thank you." I say, "Well, that's my closet. Don't mind the mess, it was a complicated morning." I tell her as I point to the closet.

She laughs as she opens the closet and begins searching. A few minutes later, she finally turns back to me, "Mission accomplished, try these on." She says as she hands me a cropped denim jacket, a cute patterned tank top paired with blue ripped jeans. I like her sense of style.