The App

A little offensive at the end, you have been warned.

Mel, Thorin and I sat back at the table that I had made sure that was away from my family. My plan had been a success, thanks to my little plan and Thorin's tattoos that scared off a lot of the kids. He had one of his arms around me as we sat at the table, enjoying some type of dip with a bunch of chips. A lot of the females that made up my extended family made sure to take the time to take a glimpse at Thorin. It just so happened that my family was basically a matriarchy. The whole family had a pretty bad past with men.

Everyone seemed happy. Thorin was happy and had a smile on his face as I fed him carrots, rubbing his hand on my back and sometimes went a little too low, forcing me to scold him so the kids wouldn't see. I was happy, feeling confident in a t shirt that actually fitted my body. My mother and aunt hadn't fought so far though shade had been thrown and my aunt even welcomed Blaire as her sister in law. Even though I had rejected a few cousins who had barreled their way through my front door to climb up on me, they were happy with playing some of the plastic ducks and some beach balls. Everyone was happy, except for one person.

Mel.

"What's wrong with ya?" Thorin asked his cousin, furrowing his dark brows while munching on the food that I had recently given him. I didn't know if Mel had told Thorin or not about inviting Sai but one thing was for sure, the boy wasn't there. It's not that Sai wasn't hard to lose in a crowd, but it was. The guy was most likely nearing at least six foot six, towering over Thorin by three inches and me by a foot and two inches so it wasn't hard to find him. Plus the only guys that had shown up was my grandfather who was asleep and a couple of uncles that were tending to their kids.

I nudged him at the side to be a little more sensitive to the girl, shaking my head. "Mel, I'm sure he'll come. He's probably just running a little late." My hand went to hers that was thumping against the wooden table. The black thing that had taken a place in my chest, some call it a heart, twinged at the sad little smile she gave me in an attempt to look happy.

"I'm fine." She lifted her eyebrows to look excited. "Trust me." I didn't trust her.

"Flora, a guy is here for you." Mom had announced. I watched from the corner of my eye as Mel perked up, patting at her jeans so the invisible dirt on them would leave. She even went as far to take her hair into her hands to control the wild curls. I stood up to who I hoped was Sai to welcome him to our party so he would feel more comfortable.

The guy wasn't Sai. Green eyes that I had at the store and all of the time of school bore into mine. The holder of the eyes was someone that I had talked to on some random girl's couch and also added me to their list of people whom they slept with because wanted to 'add a chubby girl' even though we didn't do such a thing. Normally, Jace looked cocky with a smirk but this time, he kept his eyes low.

I kept looking at Jace, making sure that I didn't see the disappointment in Melody. "Come here so one of your goons could push me down again?" I crossed my arms, mostly to look tough but in case he did pay one of my crazy cousins with candy to push me down and I could defend myself. "It's not going to hurt as much with grass."

"Don't worry, Flora." Thorin said, walking up to my side with a hand on my shoulder. "He's not going to touch you and live to tell." His voice went lower, totally winning at the intimidating part unlike me.

Jace sighed with guilt written all over his face. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

"Sorry, I didn't hear ya over all the bull shite." Thorin spat, making me worried. Don't get me wrong, it was quite hot but there were kids around and I didn't them to see a murder.

The boy in front of us shook his head. "I'm sorry!" He said louder. "I'm so sorry for everything. I didn't know what came over me!" His hands went into fists, fists that I knew that he wasn't going to use on either of us. "The first time you talked to me, I was so confused and I thought I hated you. But I couldn't come out to say that I hated you because I knew deep down in my heart that I didn't. This made me crazy, I thought about the idea of liking you and that sent me down this path of wanting to create this pain between the two of you."