Chapter Thirty-Nine: Distance

Elliot

"Should we be worried?" I ask, glancing at the clock for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes.

Oliver shrugs and leans back in his chair. "We're in a hospital. If dad really does hurt him he won't be far from medical treatment."

Judah begins to laugh beside me and I slap him with the back of my hand. "It's not funny." Carefully, I readjust my position on the bed and reach for my phone. Still nothing. "I'm seriously worried."

Oliver leans forward and clasps his hands together. "Well, Elliot," he begins with a solemn expression. "You have been having a torrid affair with your high school English teacher that lives in our guest house. How do you think dad's going to respond to that?"

I bite my lip. "Reasonably?"

He laughs loudly and wipes fake tears from his eyes. "Oh, you really are about to get a dose of reality." After composing himself, he stands and pats Judah on the shoulder. "You guys may need to have a team meeting after this. I have a feeling things are going to change."

Judah's face falls a little and I feel instantly guilty for dragging him back into this again. I know that he tries to be okay with everything when he's really not. I'm about to respond to Oliver's unwanted commentary when my father walks back into the room, sans Hunter.

He hands me a coffee. "Your mother's getting the car." He turns to Oliver. "Did you drive here?"

Oliver nods slowly.

Mason smiles. "Good. You can take Judah home." He casually takes a sip of his coffee. "Hunter had to leave. He has some packing to do."

My heart drops into the pit of my stomach so fast I almost throw up. I struggle to keep my voice even as I open my mouth to speak. "I'll ride with Oliver. I left my things at the field house."

My father's eyes are hard as he looks between us. Oliver gives an unconvincing smirk and I consider punching him. "Okay," he says curtly. His eyes narrow slightly. "Come straight home afterwards."

I don't have to try to decipher the meaning behind his words. The fact that Hunter is gone, and currently packing, speaks volumes for how well their talk went and what's going to happen now.

After getting discharged, and trying to nail down the art of walking with crutches, we finally make it to Oliver's truck. Judah helps me inside and takes a seat in the back. I can tell he wants to say something, but for some reason he remains very quiet. Oliver, however, almost can't contain himself as he slips behind the driver's wheel.

"You've really done it this time, Elle," he says as he pulls out of the parking lot. "Dad is extremely pissed and the fact we haven't seen Hunter doesn't rule out his body being stuffed in a trashcan somewhere."

My typical sarcastic remark back is replaced by unexpected tears. A small sob escapes my lips and I cover my mouth quickly. Oliver looks over at me in shock.

"Elliot, I'm sorry. I'm just messing with you." He reaches over and pats my leg gently. "I'm sure Hunter's fine."

"No, I know he is," I choke out. "But I just feel so terrible."

"It's not your fault. Hunter's a big boy, he knew the risk he was taking."

"Yes, but I'm the one who started it."

It goes silent for a moment as Oliver's face turns thoughtful. "So, after I told you not to you basically just went and did it anyway." He shakes his head. "I should have never said anything in the first place. Maybe we wouldn't be here now."