Chapter Twenty-Six: Double Standard

Elliot

The buzz around school on Monday morning is that Judah got jumped. From what I've heard so far, he's been pretty tight lipped about it. I knew he wouldn't say anything, but it makes me nervous how much people are talking about it.

We're only five minutes into lunch period and the theories are already flying. Cameron is still sitting across from me even though we barely speak anymore. I know she somehow thinks I'm angry over Dylan, but I actually find it ridiculous. You can't even consider the minimal time we spent together dating, and I basically gave her my blessing.

When I look up from my barely touched salad, her green eyes bore into me with accusation. "You're awfully quiet." She takes a sip of her iced latte. "Or don't you care what happened to Judah?"

I glare over at her. "Of course I care what happened to him." I glance around at the curious eyes surrounding me at the table. Attention usually doesn't make me uncomfortable, but right now I feel like I'm on trial.

Poppy Lincoln leans in from beside me. "So what did happen?" She twirls her spoon around in her yogurt before taking a small bite. Of all the girls in our group, Poppy loves gossip the most—especially the juicy kind that involves her friends. Like I said—sharks.

"I have no idea. Judah and I aren't really talking at the moment."

Cameron scoffs, and I raise an eyebrow. She catches my look of disdain and squares her shoulders. "Your little arrangement not working out anymore?"

My stomach clenches. I'd rather not get into it with her in front of everyone. "We broke up."

"Kind of convenient don't ya think?" Holden chimes in from down the table. Holden Parker is one of Judah's best friends, and if anyone is going to choose sides, it's going to be him.

I instantly get defensive. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, maybe Judah got into it with whatever guy you're dating. You haven't exactly been around lately."

"So that means I must have some secret boyfriend nobody knows about?"

"Seems reasonable."

"Whatever." I direct my attention back to my salad, aggressively poking my fork into the lettuce, but he doesn't let it go.

He leans forward across the table at me. "Did you know he's in danger of being on academic warning next semester?"

My stomach knots further, but I don't look up at him. I was worried something like this would happen. Judah never mentioned his grades were in jeopardy. It's not what I would expect from him. He's always been smart and barely had to study. He must have taken our separation way harder than I realized—or he's been drinking too much. My guess is it's a combination of both.

When I don't acknowledge Holden, he laughs once. "And he got suspended from the team for missing too many practices."

This causes my anger to spike. I pick my head up and narrow my eyes at him. "And how is any of that my fault?"

He motions toward me dramatically. "You're the fucking reason. If he hadn't been coming home so much because of you this never would have happened."

Dylan nudges him from beside Cameron. "Hey, man. That's not cool." He nods to me. "It's not Elle's fault Judah's acting irrational. Every time I've seen the dude in the past couple of months he's been wasted. I'll bet he picked a fight with the wrong guy and got his ass handed to him."