12 Twists and Turns

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't need to be a favour for us to hang out."

"Did Aunt Helen get me a present?"

"She did," Julia nodded.

"Now I feel like a heel. Where is it?"

"In my freezer, a wedge of tiramisu so high – I think she molded it in a bucket." She could tell it pleased Orson and she was touched. "She also got you gloves, you know. Fingerless ones since she said you had to work with your hands." The pleased look was replaced with an uncomfortable shifting in his seat. "Don't worry. I'll give them to Goodwill and tell her you loved them."

"No," he said. "I'll take them. Least I can do is ignore them in a drawer for a while first. Tell her I said thanks."

"I will."

"Donald Claire sent me an expensive bottle of cognac. I didn't think we were on presents terms so I didn't get him anything. Think I should have?"

"No," Julia said. "If he's anything like his sister he has bad case of chronic generosity. Maybe you can just pick up a tab or some nice cigars for everyone if we go shopping in town?"

He seemed to appreciate the idea and so added guiltily, "I didn't exactly think we were on presents terms either."

"Neither did I," Julia said. It was only a little lie. The gloves were from her, but she didn't want Orson to feel obliged.

"Good."

"There is something you could give me though."

"What?"

"We're on the plane. Gimmie your bracelet."

"I already tried to get it off."

"When?

"Before. The knot's too tight."

"You need fingernails."

Ten minutes and a few pinches later, Julia was finally able to remove the leather braid from Orson's wrist to tie around her own. As Orson's large fingers struggled with the tiny knot, Julia heard herself say, "You know in some countries this means we're married."

"Yeah, well in some countries it means, I own you."

"In most countries that means the same thing."

He removed the fashion section from the paper and handed it to her and they read in silence the rest of the short flight.

******

The taxi pulled up in front of the Aster's Versant Soleil three storey, redwood chalet sitting cozily on a rocky stage and hugged by an open wreath of evergreens. An alpine style roof sloped over smiling windows; the lip of a cliff overlooking the resort village was a safe distance across the hill's road in front. Nina, Don, and the attractive, smiling woman on his arm were watching out for them from the full length terrace which was supported by four ornately carved columns depicting various swirling foxes, representing by either commission or coincidence the maiden name of the lady of the manor.

"Thank God!" Nina yelled, waving them in. Don smiled brightly while his cute companion bounced with unwarranted excitement.

Julia did not have many friends outside of Vérité and Lotte, if you would even call some of the girls who worked at the fabric stores she sometimes had lunch with real friends. She liked Nina and had been looking forward to seeing her again. Too bad it was under false pretenses.

Nina came bursting out of the doors and used her air kisses to whisper quickly, "You gotta save me from Don's new girlfriend. She's giggling constantly and wants us to be best good friends forever."