Chapter 33: Toxic

I can see Abel Township ahead, standing proudly in its place even though it's still pretty pathetic in its makings as a settlement. I've never been happier to see it though. It's home. My home. And now we're so close to getting back to Abel so Janine can make the sealant.

"So, it's decided then?" Sarah asks. "Time to let Runner Five in on the details of Greenshoot?"

"That part of the project which is relevant to the mission," Janine says sharply, and I blink in confusion.

"Wait, I thought Project Greenshoot was making Great Britain zombie free." I say.

"It is, but there are many things we have to do to make that happen, Runner Five," Janine says. "And there is a bit more to it. Greenshoot's developed in Eight's absence, but I know I can scarcely expect you to unsee what you're going to see today."

I gulp.

"I'm raising the gates. Runner Five, Runner Eight, come inside."

The alarm blares as we race through the gates, and with each swing of my arms a wave of soreness spikes into my muscles. I'm thankful I was able to shove that larger canister into my backpack or I'm sure my arms would feel like they're about to fall off.

"Ten pounds of polycyanate in my backpack. Same in Five's," Sarah says unto her headset. I take a look around the buildings, expecting to see sticky green fluid leaking out of buildings or something. I actually never saw any chemicals leaking out; I was rushed away as soon as I heard the news, but I expect it to be from Dr. Meyers's small lab that was made for her awhile back, but as we get closer to it, I see nothing.

Strange.

"Over here!" Janine calls. "Double time please. The situation is critical. Bring those cans to me."

We follow her into Maxine's lab, and I find that it's pristinely clean. The other ingredients for the sealant are in the corner of the room, far away from the samples for the zombie slowing agent and the ingredients used to make it.

"So, um, what is it that I still don't know about Project Greenshoot?" I ask as I place my backpack down near the other sealant ingredients.

"Greenshoot's always been what the name implies, Five-a chance for a new start for Abel and for humanity," She answers. "Abel is important, not just because of the people here, but because of what's underneath it."

I cock a brow. "The armory?"

"Not exactly. You've brought enough for me to make a sealant, but I need you to bring the leaking canisters to me."

"Are they underground?" Sarah asks, and she gets a nod in reply.

"Yes. The canisters are in a bio lab beneath Abel, entered by the armory sub basement. It's that lab I was always meant to protect."

I gape at her. An underground bio lab... Jesus on a boat.

"You mean the weapons research facility?" Eight questions.

"Not just bioweapons. We have a whole research complex with yes, some defense capability, but also seed banks, medical knowledge-enough to let the human race recover from an apocalyptic event if necessary."

She nods. "It's been time-past time-to get some of those goodies from the Aladdin's cave for a while." She looks over at me, who is still trying to comprehend the fact that Abel has an underground lab. "You were supposed to help relocate Abel residents while we did that, but the rocket launcher attack on your chopper meant it wasn't a safe time to move."

I nod. "That.. does make sense, I guess."

"These underground labs are the reason the Major decided to establish a civilian community here in the first place-to disguise Abel's real purpose-hide any suspicious comings and going from anyone who might be watching," Janine informs, and again I nod.