Chapter 25 - "Were you waiting for us?"

Start from the beginning

The black Mercedes appeared a moment later, making a low purr as it settled into a space, the closed windows muffling the music. Donovan stepped from the driver's side, his face blank as he shouldered his bag and surveyed the surrounding collection of students. His gaze landed on Carter. Even from a distance she could see him scrutinizing her.

Lucas and his group left the parking lot in front of Link and Donovan, their voices growing in volume as they approached Carter. Lucas broke away and leaned on the wall, looking up at her. Behind them, Donovan quickened his pace, as if knowing he would be needed to stop a fight.

"You know Owens," Lucas said, "it doesn't matter how long you stare at the cars, you're never going to be able to afford one."

Carter made no sign that she even heard him, her posture and face unchanged.

"Did you hear me, Owens?" Lucas asked.

Every inch of her felt numb, the words bouncing off. Besides the dull pain in her chest, she felt nothing. Donovan and Link approached, but no one took notice of them.

"Mind moving aside?" Donovan asked, his deep voice cutting through.

Receiving no response from Carter, Lucas turned back, glad to have a new target. When his gaze met Donovan's unyielding one, his mocking reply was trapped in his throat. He flexed his jaw, the bruise from Donovan's right hook still clear.

"Not like there's anything here we care about," he said, as he and his friends moved toward the entrance.

Carter remained unmoving, unhearing. Link and Donovan approached her; in one easy movement, Donovan swung his legs over the wall, settling beside her, Link awkwardly scrambling up behind.

For a long moment they sat in silence, the rumble of car engines and voices their only companions.

"Were you waiting for us?" Link asked, looking over at her.

"Would you believe me if I said 'no'?"

"No," Donovan said.

She made no reply since none was needed.

The bell rang, emptying the parking lot. As the last of the students walked passed, none of the trio gave any indication of moving. Silence settled over them as Carter fought for something to say. Donovan looked at her.

"What happened?" he asked.

Carter lifted her gaze, but didn't see the parking lot. Images of the previous day's encounter sped through her mind: her mother's flawless appearance, her perfect pink nails, the shadow of an engagement ring.

She shrugged.

"Nothing. We talked, that was it," she said, her tone uncaring.

"Look at me," Donovan said. 

The request was so odd that Carter did as he said. His eyes narrowed as he studied her face.

"That's not it," he said.

She looked away. "There's nothing else."

Link looked between them, not seeing what Donovan saw but knowing to stay silent.

"You don't have to tell me," Donovan said, "but I would prefer it if you didn't lie to me."

She spun on him.

"Why do you even care? What makes you think that you understand what is even going on?"

Donovan kept his cool, his face impassive to the point of indifference.