.23. Beren & Whispers in the Night

*UNEDITED*

Deirdre's POV

I opened my eyes to find that I was laying in a large open field of yellow flowers which had been made to look golden under the warm light of the sun above. To the west there lay a small stream and far off into the east was a forest of thick oak trees. The breeze was warm on my cool skin and my black hair and deep blue dress waved in the wind.

I did not take long for me to realise that I was not in Lothlórien.

Standing, I placed my hand over my eyes to shield them from the light and began looking for any recognisable landmarks.

'You will find no familiar sight here,' a smooth voice said behind me causing me to jump, 'for this is not real.'

I turned around to come face to face with a man with chin-length curly brown hair which framed his face and kind blue eyes. He smiled at me, his short brown beard making him look roguish and charming, and he raised his hands in surrender, 'Forgive me, I did not mean to startle you.'

'Where am I?' I asked softly

'Nowhere,' he smiled again, 'yet everywhere. Right now you are lying upon the ground of Lothlórien being watched over by a man known as Strider. He is rather concerned about you.'

Against my better judgement, my heart warmed at the thought of Aragorn watching over my unconscious form, 'So, how am I here?' I asked.

'I believe you already know the answer to that,' he replied giving me a knowing look.

'For this is not real,' I copied his previous statement, gaining a nod from the mystery man in return.

'Exactly,' he grinned, 'You were always the clever one.'

'You know who I am?' I asked puzzled. The whole situation had my head spinning.

'Why, of course I do. But the question is do you know me?'

My eyes lingered on the man in front of me. He did look somewhat familiar, as if a shadow from a dream.

I shook my head, 'No, I am afraid I do not.'

The man looked down at his hands, his eyes becoming sad, 'I guessed as much but it still hurts to know that you have forgotten all we had...all we were.'

My body began to shake and my breathing became laboured, 'Are you...you're Beren, aren't you?'

'See, I was right, you are the clever one.' Beren said looking at me again, 'Come, we have much to discuss.'