.3. The Prancing Pony & Strider

.3.
The Prancing Pony & Strider

All Rights Belong to J.R.R. Tolkien

Naerwen's P.O.V

I had arrived in Bree a few days before it was necessary. Taking a room at The Prancing Pony, I spent the nights in the downstairs tavern, only returning to my room once daylight started to break.

Living amongst Elves for half a century, I had adapted to living off very little sleep. Lady Galadriel had once asked me how I managed without a full nights rest as most humans could not function without it, while many other Elves had marveled at my resilience. In truth, not only did it come easy to me but whenever I did rest the usual amount of a human it would make me feel sluggish, causing my body to feel heavy and my reaction time to slow.

I had hoped that Gandalf would have appeared at the Inn before Frodo but as the night of the twenty-ninth came about, Gandalf was still a no show.

The tavern was full that night as the rain had brought the men of Bree in to huddle by the open fire; all of them damp and demanding food and ale.. I watched them from my now regular corner, my hood hiding my face from unwanted attention.

A man walked to my table and smiled down at me. His brown hair stuck to his face with sweat, from working the bar all night, and his scruffy beard was so thick it practically hid his top lip.

'Can I get ya anthin', deary?' He asked.

'Just water please, Butterbur.' I replied. He nodded and looked to opposite end of to find another hooded figure staring in my direction.

'T'would seem ya have an admirer.' He chuckled tilting his had in the strangers direction.

'I sincerely doubt that.' I replied with zero emotion in my voice.

Butterbur chuckled again. 'I'm sure a comely lady like ya'self would 'ave many sweethearts.'

I ignored his comment and continued to watch the hooded figure, who appeared to be staring back.

'Water please, Butterbur.' I repeated.

'Oh, right. One water comin' up.' With that Butterbur left and returned to the bar.

Th cloaked figure had a pipe in his mouth, as it burned red, the light gave me a glimpse of his eyes. I could not see their colour as I was too far away but they were definitely fixed on me.

I became self-conscious under his gaze and pulled my cloak further down to shield my face and tried to blend into the shadows around me.

I watched as the inn door opened revealing four small man, they would have looked like children in the eyes of someone who did not know better. Their cloaks were drenched and they shivered from the cold. Pulling their hoods down they showed their faces but they were shadow by the poor lighting of the tavern.