68. Romeo + Juliet (Act 1)

Start from the beginning

The girl was not touched one bit. She stood her place by the doorway, expressionless before giving a careless plain smile right at me.

"I cannot take you Mr. Austin." She said, repeating herself yet again though adding one last thing in the end. "He's getting ready for the ceremony."

The continuous smile never leaving her face, she placed the box on the bed and exited the room. Ceremony? Confusion overwhelmed my soul as quick as it could take action. But I was not able to dwell on it nor ask myself furthermore questions, heels were heard in the distance before the devil itself appeared. Cora.

She stepped into the room, my eyes piercing at her and oh so I had wished looks could really kill. The atmosphere felt weird and uncertain, she wore a red dress- I scoffed at the irony. It was a long satin red gown, her black hair against her back as those poisoned lips opened up to spit out venom.

"Oh wow she did not set you free," Cora spoke referring to the girl almost impressed. "Guess she wanted to keep her hands. Serves her right."

I ignored her idiotic commentary and went for the kill, "What is all of this-where am I? A decent room for once? Who the hell was that girl, what the fuck are you planning?"

"What? You don't like the room?" She giggled shaking her head in humor, "Ah you prefer the rotten, dark, smelly ones I see. Suits your personality... feels like home, I don't blame you."

I stood silent.

"I did say I had more surprises waiting for you and I do not go back on my word–"

"Oh, like how you 'didn't' go back on it with Austin?" I snapped, interrupting her beloved hoax of a speech. Though she was not fond of that to say the least. My skin flared in pain as Cora's palm had met with my cheek, slapping it too quickly. I winced lowly and stared her down directly. "Where. Is. Austin?" I asked, though it spoke out more as a demand, word for word.

"Trust little Mia, he is more use to me alive than dead."

"Where is he?!" I shouted growing impatient. I felt as though this back and forth thing was a game to her, fun torturing entertainment.

"Tsk, tsk." Cora shook her head focusing her attention on me. "I can't kiss and tell. Don't you know it's bad luck for the groom to see his bride before the wedding?"

My eyes clouded over as Cora's words rung loud and clear against my hearing, I had almost hoped I had misheard. An unsettling feeling began welling inside me, there was something wrong about to happen. I could feel it deep in my bones. My heart was thumping loud and I was sure Cora could hear it, even at that- the music seemed to disappear but I knew it was still playing. She is dressed up. My mind spoke up in my head. I was aware.

I felt as water began to form in the corners of my eyes, but I held it back with pride. I was confused, yes- or maybe I just didn't want to know what the hell was bound to happen. What kind of twisted game is this? Groom. The groom? Is she referring to–Austin?

Cora already close beside me, opened a drawer sitting on the right side of the bed, pulling out a small black pocket knife. With the sharp tool on her hand, she leaned in without saying a word and slit the blade through the rope, breaking free of one of my hands. "You try anything and I'll end you right here, right now." She threatened undoing the other knot on the rope. "Get up." She barked.