Chapter Sixteen

Finally to the part I've been waiting for.
- Update: So some people were messaging me in confusion about this chapter, and I'm not gonna lie, I didn't like it that much either but I was just trying to find someway to shove that young summary up in there. 🙄 lol. regardless to say a lot of people hated it, so since I value my readers opinions, I've decided to change it a bit to hopefully make more sense. Tell me which one you preferred. The summary in the description will change later so don't worry. 😂
16

Karen didn't have a care in the world as she stared up at her room ceiling, the kiss she had shared with Mr

Karen didn't have a care in the world as she stared up at her room ceiling, the kiss she had shared with Mr. Foster a couple of hours ago still running through her head. Things couldn't get any better, or at least that's what she thought just as Kevin burst through her bedroom door, his face pale.

          "Karen, it's Eve."

Karen immediately sat up. "What happened?"

He walked closer to her bed, his body shaking. "Mom found out that she was staying at Darrell's house and went to get her. Darrell said his parents had to let her go with mom because she was the guardian."

"Where is she now?" I asked frantically.

        "In the hospital."

"What?"

       "Mom had been drinking before she went and picked up Eve. Mom's okay, but Eve, goodness Karen, they don't think she's going to make it." He broke down, falling to his knees. Karen was too shocked to say anything as Kevin's sobs filled the quiet mansion. She couldn't do anything.

She could only hold her brother and pray that everything would be alright.

---

An hour later Karen was packing her suitcase when Mr. Foster walked in. He was leaning against the doorframe, his striped pajamas still present.

       "Kevin told me what happened. When are we leaving?"

Karen didn't look up, just continued to shove the clothes into her suitcase. She had to hurry and make sure that her sister was going to be alright. She was so caught up in packing that she didn't notice as Mr. Foster moved away from the doorframe.

        "Karen," he stressed. She angrily looked up.

"What?" She said in frustration. "I can't talk right now, I have to hurry."

He reached out trying to find her arm until his hand landed on her wrist. He yanked her around, his eyes boring into hers.

       "I know you're stressed out right now but just slow down. Kevin said that your sister was stable and is now sleeping. We can't see her until tomorrow anyways, so why don't we just wait until the morning and we can all leave together."

She snatched her arm back. "I don't care if we have to wait until the morning to see her, we're still leaving tonight." She said stubbornly, turning back to her suitcase.

He shook his head. "Fine, let me go pack a bag."

Karen's hands stilled on the shirt she was holding. "You don't have to come."

       "What?" He asked not really believing what he was hearing.

Karen placed the shirt into her suitcase and zipped it. She picked it up from the bed and stood it up. "I said that you don't have to come, i'll stay a couple of days and be back before the end of the week." She promised, slipping on her sandals.

Mr. Foster folded his arms across his chest. "I'm still coming, Karen, you need me."

         "You're not coming. I'm not going to tell you again. I said I would be back in a few days."

"Well, how do I know that you won't just stay there?"

She rolled her eyes. "Now you're just exaggerating."

He took a step closer. "I'm serious, Karen." He stared down at her hardly and she threw her hands up in frustration.

      "I can't believe this. You honestly don't trust me. I care about you, so why would I lie to you?"

He uncrossed his arms, reaching out to pull her into a hug. "I do trust you, but I would feel a lot better if you would just let me come along."

She shook her head, stepping out of his embrace.

         "Why can't you just let your guard down for once and trust me?" Karen demanded angrily.

His dark eyes blazed at her statement.

       "What, did I hit a soft spot?" She continued sarcastically and he flinched.

"Just be quiet." He ordered. "I'm coming with you and Kevin whether you like it or not."

Karen wanted to scream. Why couldn't he just let it go and let her deal with her own family? She didn't need him interfering in her business. She took a step closer, ignoring the way the air around them had suddenly became strained. "Why? Why can't you just let it go. It's my family that's having problems right now, not yours." She whispered. "Are you so scared that I'll just up and leave that you feel the need to to tag along just to make sure that I don't run away?" She shook her head, "Unbelievable, no wonder you're all alone up here in this house."

His nose crinkled. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

She placed a hand on her hip. "That you have trust issues. There, I said it, are you happy now? You don't trust anyone fully enough to actually let them in."

     "What are you talking about, Karen? I have let you in. We wouldn't even be dating if I hadn't." He replied angrily.

She snorted. "Sure. You let me into your heart, but you can't even take my word when I say that I'll be back. Some open person you are."

       "You know, maybe I don't let anyone in because every time I do they always leave! Every. Single. One. They think they can fix the poor blind man, and leave when they realize it's impossible. I knew letting you in was a mistake...You're just like all the others!" He shouted, his veins straining against his pale skin. "You don't really care about me. When things get uncomfortable in your life, you freak out and shut down. Have you ever thought for a second that maybe I'm not the one who's shutting everyone out, you are."

"I-" Karen started, but stopped when his cold voice interrupted her.

"Just go."