Chapter Five

5

      Today was the day of reckoning

      Today was the day of reckoning. Well, whatever was the equivalent to her being fired for assaulting her employer with a pill bottle. A freaking pill bottle.

She sat nervously at the edge of her bed. Did hitting someone with a pill bottle even count as a serious crime? She thought.

She twiddled her fingers, No, it couldn't, she reassured herself before freaking out again. But did it count if she did it to a blind guy?

Oh.My.Gosh. she freaked out, I Karen Palate assaulted a blind man. That's it, I'm going to jail, she concluded as a hard knock sounded at her door.

She immediately jumped at the sound, but swallowed hardly as she pushed herself from the bed to open the door. A very angry Juliana was standing on the opposite side of her, her arms crossed tightly against her chest.

"Have you lost your mind?" She said storming into the room, not giving Karen any chance to reply before she was yelling again. "Why in the world would you throw his medicine bottle at him?" She demanded.

Karen watched the old lady cautiously as she chose her next words. "You said he had to take his pills and he refused."

She placed her hands on her hips. "So you threw the bottle at his head?" She asked skeptically.

Karen wanted to shout, Yeah, the Jerk deserved it, but shook her head. "Look, I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I'll just pack my things and leave." She said walking to the dresser to start packing up her clothes.

Juliana huffed. "That won't be necessary, Ms. Palate."

Karen felt her heart drop. So not only was she being fired, but they were going to get someone else to clean out all of her stuff for her. She dropped the shirt she was holding back into the dresser, turning to Juliana.

"So what? You're just going to kick me out and send all of my stuff later?" She mustered lamely.

Juliana rolled her eyes at the younger woman. "You're not being fired." Karen's eyes widened, "Just try not to practice your pitching skills around Mr. Foster from now on." She said walking to the door.

"Wait..so I'm not fired?"

Juliana tried hard to hide the smile that was threatening to break out onto her face and nodded. "No, you're not fired." She said as she stepped out into the hallway. Just before the door was shut, she turned back to Karen.

"And Ms. Palate." She called.

"Yes?" Karen answered timidly.

"Mr. Foster likes pancakes." She offered just before the door shut softly, leaving Karen alone in her room to figure out what exactly had just happened.