◌ Twenty ◌

The silence was unbearable.

Everyone just stared at Mikey as he carefully sat up on the floor, avoiding sitting on the shards of the plate. He failed. A small cut began to bleed on his palm. The pancakes were scattered across the floor. Some contained bits of glass and others were dusted in the flour that never really got cleaned up after Joe spilled it everywhere.

"Um." someone said.

"I-" Mikey choked out a word, not knowing what to say. "I'm so so sorr-"

"It's okay! We'll move past this!" Frank said, his voice full of confidence." We have to carry on! Keep calm and carry on!"

"Keep calm and cook on!" Pete yelled out

Everyone cheered.

Andy and Ryan helped Mikey up off the floor and dusted him off. Patrick cleaned up his his bleeding hand and put a small bandaid on it.

"What are we gonna do about the pancakes? Some have glass in them and they are all covered in flour." Mikey asked Frank, embarrassed that he ruined the main meal.

"We can pick them off the floor! We don't have time to start a fresh batch but what they don't know can't hurt them, right?" Frank said, full of enthusiasm.

"But glass will hurt them Frank, glass hurts." Brendon said. "A bunch of the pancakes have glass in them."

"Well, we can pick out the ones without glass and scrape the flour off of them." Frank suggested, grabbing some knives and handing them out to a few people. They attempted to scrape and shake off the flour but it was still obvious there was something going on with the pancakes.

"Oh I know!" Ryan exclaimed, remembering what he saw in the cabinets earlier. "What if we sprinkled powered sugar in them to make it look like we did it on purpose. The flour and the sugar will blend and nobody will ever know there was flour on them!"

He retrieved the confectioners sugar from a cabinet and grabbed a spoon, carefully dusting it over the pancakes. They turned out okay. You definitely couldn't tell there was any flour by looking at it. Hopefully you couldn't taste it either. Ryan grabbed four of the fanciest plates he could find and then another four small bowls. He handed the bowls to the fruit salad squad to fill and the plates to the pancake crew.

Gerard frantically scooped the fruit into the bowls, trying to fill them as evenly as possible. Dallon tried to help but only ended up making things worse. Over at the pumpkin pancake center Ray was sweeping glass into a useless dustpan, warning everyone not to get hurt. Nobody really heard him over the loud noise. Pete slapped three of their most decent looking pancakes on each of the plates Ryan got and stacked them up. Joe was ready with a pat of butter for the top and a drizzle of syrup to top it off.

It looked perfect.

Well for a moment or two.

Then Gerard unexpected grabbed one with his bare hands, held it high above his head and said "OH OH OH! Good morning and welcome to the weekend pancake report. Pancake Mountain has announced today that the dance party will feature all you can eat pancakes. Doctors warn though however, this may cause a pank-ache." Then he randomly screamed boo. Then he murmured something about news before slapping himself in the face with a pancake.

"Gerard!" Frank yelled. "Stop!"

"Is this normal?" Patrick asked, stunned by Gerard's sudden outburst.

"Yeah, he was once on this T.V. show for kids called Pancake Mountain and he had to do the Weekend Pancake report. Now he can't take pancakes seriously anymore." Frank explained. "It's become a serious issue now."