Chapter One-Hundred: Part Three

Start from the beginning

Wordlessly, I knew he was hesitant to leave me.

Lexi noticed this too, and she rolled her eyes. "She's fine with us, you has no connections to any other bases, just go." She raised her voice, growing frustrated.

"Neither do you!" Jameson snapped back, growing agitated. I tried to calm my pounding heart as they bickered.

"Why don't I just go scout?" I offered ludicrously, interrupting their heated argument. But they didn't pay attention to me until I actually turned, ready to walk.

Someone grabbed onto my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"I'll go." The person said. And then Jameson disappeared into the shadows.

"Come here, young lady." Lexi beckoned me over, a look of disapproval clear on her features.

We waited for responses from Harry's base, for updates from Bria, and for Jameson to return with the all clear.

As I bit at my nails, Lexi got a text. We all watched her as she frowned, pulling her phone out of her pocket.

"I shouldn't be getting any messages, everyone on my team have done their part–"

She broke off when she read the text.

Jace stepped out from the corner, placing a hand on her shoulder, trying to both comfort her and read the message from over her shoulder. Lexi, who had gone uncharacteristically quiet, didn't tell us what was going on, so Kim snatched the phone from her hand and read over the text.

She blanched. "It's from Kai. Mel is onto us. She must've told someone—that's what Bria's text said, that there was trouble near to the loft."

"They've figured us out." I spoke, shivering at the words that came out of my own mouth.

Lexi snatched her phone back. "We need to go."

"We can't!" I hissed.

She shoved me forward. "Would you rather go back? We have about five second advantage on Mel, we have to go."

She tugged me along, and I had to reluctantly move. "But what about the trouble ahead?" I asked, shaking in my dress.

"Hopefully Jameson's sorted it. Come on!" And with that, we were on a full on sprint. We lost Kim halfway through, who parted by telling us that she would ward off any unwanted visitors from behind us.

We found Jameson raising up from the ground, wiping blood off the side of his lip.

I approached him with caution. "Are you okay?" I asked, concern dropping from my words as I used the sleeve of my dress to wipe at his wound. He nodded, looking down at me as I placed a palm against his face.

And it was at that was the moment I got slammed into a wall.

Having hit my head, I spent a few confused moments trying to figure out what just happened.

Lexi, having been on high alert, was immediately ready once a threat came straight for me. She shoved me back and fought whoever it was off.