Chapter 7: The Box

Tobin's POV

I'm sitting in the last row of the plane, staring at the box as Ali arrives.

"There I am.", she says and sits down on the seat next to mine.
"What is wrong, Tobin?"

"Isn't it weird if I tell you what's bothering me even though we barely know each other?", I whisper.

"Oh Tobin. It isn't! I'm here for you, you know? We're a team now! And since HAO isn't here and Whit is sleeping, I'm here.", she whispers.

"And you're sure that I won't annoy or bother you?", I mumble.

"Of course you don't. And now tell me.", she whispers and puts her arm around my shoulder.

"Okay.", I say and take a deep breath.

"So I said that I'm from Diamond Bar, but I actually only moved there at the age of 16, after my mom died. And I made a bunch of friends and met the love of my life. We were basically made for each other, but she hurt me so many times that I couldn't do it anymore. I always accepted her apologies, but the last I didn't. It was too much and a too big betrayal. So I decided to move on, move in an other state, go to college and completely forget about my past. Any questions so far? It's a very long and complicated story..", I mumble.

"I'm so sorry, Tobin. That you had to go through all of this.. so you didn't hear anything from anybody since you went you college?", Ali asks.

"Exactly.", I whisper. "Until today."

"Two years ago on this day, I left Diamond Bar and all my friends. The gurl I told you about, Alex, left me for three months to go to france, to play soccer. It's a long story but she pretended to have a boyfriend so that her homophobic club there would accept her. She just forgot to tell me that the relationship wasn't real. And that completely broke my heart. Because she left me for a boy before. And because I honestly loved her.
During that time, I got very close to another girl, from my soccer team, who also went through a rough breakup with her girlfriend. And it- it just happend that we kinda liked each other. Not the way I liked-loved Alex. But I care so much for that girl. And she just called me. The first time in two years that I heard her lovely voice again. That's whats bothering me.", I whisper.

"So- just that I get it- your girlfriend left for another club and pretended to have a boyfriend. Because her club was homophobic. And during that time, you started caring for another girl. And you managed to carry on for two years without seeing them or even hearing anything from them?", she asks confused.

"Exactly. You got it totally right.", I mumble.

"Tobin, you're a true fighter! That's very impressive.", she says.

"More of an asshole-move I'd say.", I mumble. "I never stop thinking about them all.."

"Before I left, I put everything that reminded me of my past in this box.", I say and point on the shoebox on my lap.

"And you still gor it?", Ali smiles.

"Always. I'll always keep it. I actually never opend it again.. Christen, the girl I started caring about, wrote me a letter for the box. She told me to read it when we meet again. And we're meeting on sunday, she's in chicago the next two weeks..", I mumble.

"So you want to read it now?", Ali asks.

"Exactly. That's what she told me to do at the phone. But I'm scared, Ali..", I mumble.

"It's okay, Tobin. I'm here. I'm just here. I won't read it, I'll just be there to hug you afterwards or do whatever you want to.", she says and smiles.

"Thank you, that means a lot to me, Ali.", I whisper.

She is so, so nice.

I cut the tape around the box open with my nails.

I just need to open it now.

Open the box.

Open the chapter of my past again.

I open it.

I see a ton of pictures staying on the sides, a lot of envelopes with letters in them and a few other things laying in the middle.

I can feel my eyes getting filled with tears.  

I take out some pictures.

"That's Alex..", I mumble as I show Ali a picture of her in front of the beach.
"At our anniversary.."

"And this is Kelley, my best friend..", I show her another picture, one of Kels sitting on my back.

"You seem so happy in this picture..", Ali whispers.

"I was. I was truly happy..", I mumble.

"And- and that's Christen.", I say and stare at the picture that we took before I left.

"That picture is cute..", Ali says and points at the next one in my hand.

It's a picture that my sister took of me and Christen sleeping all cuddled up together.

"It is..", I whisper. "The cutest of all.."

I carefully put the pictures back in and take out a tiny little box.

I look at Ali.

"Should I open it?", I ask.

"Do you know what's in it?", she asks.

I nodd.

"Our- our ring.", I mumble.

"Ring? Did- were you two engaged?", she asks confused.

"Kinda, yes.", I mumble.

"Wow..", she whispers.

I open the little box.

"This brings back so many memories..", I mumble and wipe away my tears as I look at the ring.

I quickly close the box again and search through the envelopes to find Christen's letter.

I take out a lot of Alex' letters until I find a lightblue envelope that has written 'for Tobin. Open when our paths are crossing again' on it.

I put the other letters back in and hold the lightblue envelope in my hands.

It's been so long, but I'll always recognize her handwriting.

Everywhere.

I finally build up the courage and carefully open it..

AN: new chapter coming soon! How do you like it? Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!!!