Chapter 15

The nuclear glow of the phone takes Ian by surprise. He stares at it, distractedly, as it vibrates angrily in his hand. Silent - but enough to rattle his senses.

This is really happening.

"Ian?"

"Mickey?"

Ian exhales the breath he didn't know he was holding, shakily. There's so much he wants to ask - but he's distracted by the sound of trumpets in the background.

"Is that ... is that Mariachi music?"

"Banda." Mickey corrects. "You remember where I am, right?"

Ian lets out another breath of relief. He can feel the cocked eyebrow and incredulous smirk on the other end.

"Yeah. I just didn't expect it to be so ... Mexican."

Okay then.

"How'd you find me?"

"Iggy. He told Mandy, she told me."

"Yeah but I saw Iggy in Cook County. How'd you know I was in the MCC?"

"We have this thing in Mexico – it's called 'The Internet'. You can look up prisoner information on it."

It's official - Mickey Milkovich can reduce him to some kind of primordial soup, incapable of rational thought or speech. Ian was leaning against the bed-post closest to the window, but he slides down to the floor and rests his head against the metal of the frame. He tries to gather his wits about him, as the silence between them grows more awkward.

"You okay in there? Getting any hassle? I can't send you commissary money, but if you need anything just go to Damon. I'll make sure it's worth his while."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Damon's looking out for me."

"You getting your meds?"

"Of course. I'd probably be able to sue to get out, if I wasn't."

"Good. I've been worried about you."

Ian sighs.

"Look, I know I was super resistant when I was first diagnosed, but I do understand how important they are. I hate the side effects sometimes, but the difference they've made has been pretty obvious. I'm still up and down, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be."

"Yeah, well you say you've got your shit together, but then I start hearing about how you're disposing of bodies, getting into fights and winding up in jail? What am I meant to think? Sounds pretty manic to me."

"Wait, disposing of bodies?! What are you talking about Mick?"

"Mandy told me. About your little phone call."

"Oh. No, that wasn't a disposal. We had to dig up Monica. It turns out Fi put about $20,000 worth of meth in her casket and we needed the money so ..."

"Fucking Fiona." They both let out a small chuckle.

"Wait, Monica's dead?"

"Yeah she died, umm, the day I left you. If I believed in it I'd say it was karmic retribution."

"Shit man, I'm sorry. I mean, I didn't like her – all she ever seemed to do was hurt you, but I know you loved her."

Ian's voice has a little croak to it.

"Thanks."

"What happened, did she OD?"

"Brain aneurysm actually. Who'd have thought eh?"