16 | the first tragedy

"What exactly did he say? Did he mention how she is, if she's okay?" Elijah continued bombarding Kylie with numerous questions as the two were now seated in the car, making their way down to the hospital as Jax had instructed.

Kylie remained silent and utterly unresponsive. It wasn't that she was ignoring Elijah's continuous enquiries but rather it seemed as though something inside her had completely switched itself off; as though she was no longer able to fully comprehend his words.

"Kylie, are you even listening to me?" Elijah yelled at her, his hand finding its way to the clutch a little too late as the red traffic light appeared, resulting in a cascade of honking noises from the cars situated behind theirs.

Rolling down the window in a fury, he bellowed "Oh, shut the fuck up, will you?" to the cars behind him, only warranting himself a further ten more honks as a result of his foul language.

"Kylie!" He repeated, giving her shoulder a small nudge in order to grab her attention but rather than even attempted to meet his gaze, her eyes remained fixated to the fidgeting fingers in her lap.

"I don't know anything. He didn't tell me anything." She visibly seemed to strain to release the words from her mouth, her facial expression remaining unchanged and lips seemingly barely moving despite the few words that emitted from within her.

Elijah heaved deeply before bashing his foot down onto the accelerator pedal and beginning to drive over the speed limit.

After what seemed to be a deadly silent journey, they finally reached the hospital.

"We shouldn't go together." The voice came out robotic and somehow seemed to not hold any resemblance to her usual voice.

"What?" Elijah replied, already a few steps ahead of her but stopping to take a look at the static Kylie behind him.

"We're not supposed to have been together, it'll look suspicious if we go inside together."

"At a time like this, that's what you're worried about?" He grunted, grabbing her hand and pulling her inside the building beside him, "Jess needs us right now. Both of us."

Pattie stood waiting in the nearly empty waiting room, arms crossed and a damp cloth enclosed in her tight clutch. Her lips were pursued, causing them to appear to be little more than a thin straightened line.

"Where the hell have you been, Elijah? I left untold missed call and text messages for you." Pattie raced towards him as soon as he entered the room. Her voice seemed to crack at each word and the elegant demeanour that usually enveloped her person seemed to have dissipated.

He mumbled a rather pathetic attempt at an excuse; something about being with his study group for some research he was currently undertaking. "How is she?"

"She's doing okay. She fractured a couple of ribs and is in quite a bit of pain right now. But I suppose we should be grateful, it could've been a lot worse."

"And the baby?" Kylie asked timidly, her body remaining half hidden by Elijah's in front of her.

"There's no baby. Not anymore. She fell on her tummy and bled profusely afterwards. Oh, but that's what you wanted, isn't it Kylie?" Pattie snarled cruelly, the usual wry expression making a re-appearance on her face. The smouldering volcano that had long since begun brewing within Pattie was on the brink of eruption.

"No. No! How can you even say that?" Kylie snapped back, her eyes became blurry with tears which had already begun to pool on the heavily mascara coated lower set of lashes.

"You think Jessica hasn't told me? I only called you here because she asked me too, but God knows why she'd want a little manipulative bitch like you here!"