Chapter 9: In Which En Throws a Punch

Quickly and successively, an overview of the situation zipped through En's mind, the thoughts going faster as her breathing quickened to match. Hayden's back was cut. Vince's chest was cut. Karen's throat was cut. All clearly knife wounds. They were unconscious and had lost a lot of blood. Hopefully someone heard the explosions and called the police. There were still people at the party, right? Right?

The scruff of footsteps cut through En's panic. She looked up into the face of the perpetrator. A remorseless perpetrator with rips in her sea-green dress and blood on her hands. Blood that did not belong to her.

"They were stronger than I expected," Beatrice Levesque said, wiping a smear on her cheek. Her brown and blonde hair hung down in thick curtains, framing her cold, dead eyes. "Maybe I went a little overboard?"

A string of sarcastic words lost itself somewhere up En's throat. Her fingers curled into the burned dirt, the pebbles around her jittering to life. She sprang to her feet with a burst of feverish adrenaline, leaving deep contemplation for later, hands poised to attack.

Bea's lips curled into a grin full of elation. She met her head-on, catching both fists. "Bad move." Her palms exploded, burning En's fingers and sending her stumbling back.

A mess of thoughts whirred through En's mind, the pain of seared flesh taking precedence. It hurt to bend her fingers, but she did anyway, clenching her teeth tightly against the warning bells inside her. She's weaker because she already attacked them. En sent a shower of pebbles onto Bea, transferring every particle of her rage into them.

"Too (freaking) weak!" Bea ignited them all with a single blast, causing a rainfall of coals to hit the floor.

En used her distraction as a chance, hurling herself forward once more, tossing aside all caution. She slapped Bea's hand away, wincing at the detonation right next to her ear, and reared her fist back for a punch. "Why'd you do it?"

"I'm just following orders!" Bea attempted to grab her, but En dropped a rock onto her shoulder and rammed her knee into Bea's defenceless chin.

"Whose orders?"

"(Crap)," Bea hissed, a snarl dripping from her mouth along with a stream of blood. She spat at En's face, missing by mere centimetres. "You're a (freaking) natural at this, ain't ya?" Sparks crackled between her fingers, steam rising to engulf her hands.

"I take after my mother!" En jumped aside, the explosion just managing to graze her arm. "Whose orders are you following?" she repeated, another sting of pain rushed through her, but, again, she ignored it, allowing her adrenaline to push her. She backed towards the hospital's outer lights, heel crunching the coarse gravel strewn on the path. En lifted several stones low in the air, baiting Bea into range.

"You run just as much as that (freaking) Sea-Bass," Bea growled, ignoring her question. "Pisses me off." She stalked closer, like a fish tempted by a dangling worm, now clutching a black sawback knife in her hand. "C'mon, fight me already!"

En remained silent, waiting, waiting. There. Just as Bea's foot entered the pool of light, her little bits of gravel shot upwards, propelled by much more force than the ones before. They smacked into Bea's unsuspecting face with whip-like precision.

"You (fudge)face!!" She surged towards her, propelled by explosions, and knocked En off her feet, making her back smack against the ground. Bea straddled her, knife plunging down.

En stopped her with both hands, heart dropping when the weapon fell out of Bea's grasp. But, the entire knife abruptly melted in the air, forming a little orb that snapped towards Bea and smacked into her forehead.