Chapter 40-Another Girl 🕒Friday, November 22nd, 1963🕞

Start from the beginning

"George?" I called. No reply. I walked outside and hesitated before pushing open his door.

Walking in, I bit my lip anxiously, hoping he was there.

"George?" I called out. My eyes wandered to the corner of the room where he stood buttoning his shirt. I sighed in relief.

"George, will you come zip me up?" I asked approaching him from behind. Turning to face me, I was met with an unbelievably drunk man and immediately regretted everything.

"Which way?" he blurted, laughing awkwardly. I rolled my eyes and frowned as I could smell the stench of alcohol on him.

"Haha very funny. George, have you been drinking?"

He snickered and quickly zipped my dress up.

"Me? Pshaw that's a load of bollocks."

"You have, haven't you!" I scolded, suddenly on the verge of tears. "First you pretend everything is fine and then you run off and disappear all day and when you finally get back home we haven't even left and you're completely intoxicated. Ugh! I could just brain you!"

George didn't seem to hear me and instead proceeded to procure a flask from his pants pocket and take a swig before putting it back.

"Stop it George!" I cried, trying to pry it from his fingers.

Suddenly, he ripped it from my hands and pushed me back roughly, landing me on the floor beside the bed. I cried out in pain as I hit my head on the nightstand, and felt a sharp sensation shoot through my body. George lit a cigarette and peered down at me in detest. I gasped in horror at just how drunk the man really was. Now I was just plain terrified.

Shrinking back against the bed, I prepared myself for the worst possible case scenario which would be if George were to hit me.
Instead he fumbled with his coat and began to walk out as he slurred his speech.

"C'mon Wendy."

I shakily stood up and followed him out.

"No, George. You're not well."

He laughed heartlessly as he nearly tripped over himself.

"I'm not well, ha! I've never felt better."

I peered into the living room.

"Where's Ringo?"

George whipped himself around.

"He's with her."

Then a chuckle escaped his throat and he grinned widely like he had made some sort of joke.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the doorbell rang and quickly ran to answer it. I breathed a sigh of relief when I discovered it was Ringo and Maureen who entered quickly, pushing right past me. I was too glad to see Ringo to care.

"Oh Rich!" I cried. "Thank God!"

Ringo scrunched his face in confusion.

"Why? What's happened?"

I sighed.

"George is drunk out of his mind. I don't understand just..." my voice trailed off as I heard Maureen's giggle echoing from the other room. I frowned as a very bad feeling began to form in the pit of my stomach. I curiously turned to head for the kitchen, Ringo at my heels only to discover George drunkenly leaning against the refrigerator -ogling over Maureen. She appeared to have been enjoying it all the while Ringo ran his hands through his hair in aggravation and cleared his throat.

"Uh, think it's best we head out now, hm?" he spoke awkwardly and with a lack of confidence. I think under his no sweat exterior he was just as baffled as I was. Maureen nodded, eyeing George as she walked towards her frazzled boyfriend and from that instant on I knew that I loathed her.