Chapter Thirty-Seven: Catching An Edge

Hunter

"Are you afraid of heights?" Oliver asks, readjusting his grip on his poles.

I swallow hard as I take a long look at the ground below us. "No, why?"

Oliver laughs, shaking the already precarious lift. "Because you have a death grip on the handrail, and you look like you're going to puke." He pulls a flask out of his puffy coat and hands it to me. "Here, this might take the edge off."

Although falling to my death still feels like a real possibility, I take it from him. The scarier part of this outing is what's on the lift in front of us. Somehow Oliver got us raked into a fun evening hitting the slopes with their dad Mason, and the principal Mr. Bellamy. He actually insists I call him Trevor, which is weird all things considered.

I take a large swig and the liquor burns its way down my throat. My chest is on fire and I let out a cough, handing it back. "Geez, what the fuck is in there?"

Oliver winks at me. "Some shine I confiscated from a kid in my fourth period class. Dumbass kept it in his locker."

I pat him on the shoulder. "I'm glad your students have someone they can look up to."

He smiles. "Thanks, man." Oliver's deluded sense of self never ceases to amaze me.

My anxiety decreases minimally as we begin to ascend the top of the slope. I manage to make it off the lift without falling, which is a victory in itself. My eyes widen as I take in the sign next to the peak. I punch Oliver in the arm. "Hey, dick. This is a black diamond slope. I'm going to seriously die." I risk a glance over the crest of the hill. "It's like straight fucking down."

"Relax. Just do what I do, and you'll be fine." He pulls his hat down further and gives me a thumbs up.

"Ollie, that is not how skiing works," I say through my teeth.

He smirks. "Just avoid the trees."

I'm about to argue his logic when Mason comes up behind me and clasps his hand on my shoulder. "Let's take one last run and head into the lodge for a drink."

Oliver's grin widens. "Dad, you read my mind."

Mason just shakes his head as he and Trevor make their way to the edge of the slope. I grab Oliver by his jacket to hold him back for a minute. He laughs. "You're not going to die, Hunter."

"No, that's not it." I lower my voice even though the slopes are fairly crowded today. "What if they start asking a lot of questions? Like, ask us if we know anything?"

He shrugs, planting his poles into the snow. "Be cool. My family is pretty tight with several members of the board so that's helpful." He makes a face. "It's also why Elliot is so concerned about you two getting ousted. I would try to avoid any mention of the dirty sex you two have been having all over the school."

"Good advice, genius," I remark dryly.

"I try," he says before shoving off down the slope. I take a deep breath and follow.

***

Someone above was definitely looking out for me as I glide not so gracefully to the bottom of the hill. Oliver gives me a nod. "See, easy."

I withhold my urge to punch him as I amble up the stairs to the patio that leads into the bar. Usually there isn't a sight that makes me happier than Elliot's face, but right now, I really wish she wasn't bartending.