A New Member

I opened my car door, and was about to get in, when I was pulled back by my arm.

"Don't run away again," they demanded looking me in the eye. "We need to talk."

I pulled my arm out of his grip, and nodded over to the trunk of the car. I parked myself on the left side of the hood, before speaking.

"I don't really want to talk to you, but sure. Go ahead."

He sat beside me, and sighed, "How are you?"

"How am I? Is that really how your starting this conversation?" I asked as I chuckled.

He chuckled as well, and nodded, "I like the uh, pink thing you have going on...with your hair."

"........thanks," I said looking at the ground. I found the plastic bag I had before and picked it up from the ground before joining them back on the trunk. "I was actually going to-"

"Green? Again?" He asked sounding kind of disgusted. "I like the pink better. Makes you look more happy. More..."

"Innocent?"

The question made him stay silent, before nodding. I nodded, and went to speak but he cut me off.

"I-...Dee...I came to talk to you about something important," he informed seeming a little hesitant.

I scratched my arm before moving a strand of hair being my ear, "What is it?"

"There's this client-"

"I'm not helping if that's what your-"

"What? No. No its- that's not what I'm trying to say. It's, uh...they want me to-"

"Either you spit it out, or I'm driving home."

He went to speak, when he stopped and looked at me confused, "Home?"

I nodded as my eyes darted to the ground. When I gathered myself, I looked back at him, "Yeah. It's been a long time since I said that out loud.. .I think I found it. I think."

"Good for you. That's amazing." He smiled. "With who? A boyfriend? A relative? A second cousin?"

"No, uh. No boyfriend. No to all of those...I actually found the men I use to work with a while back. Welcomed me back with open arms."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

It got silent for a few seconds, before he broke it.

"So what have you been up to?"

"Look," I started, as I sighed. "It's nice to see you again, Floyd...but ever since that night-"

"I know that was hard for you,....but maybe it's for the bes-"

"How can you say that?!" I rose my voice. "You will never understand what its like being alone. For years. Feeling like you had no one because the only person in your life was an abusive asshole. He was the only thing closest to family that I had Floyd!....until I found out my mother."

"What?"

"Yeah. My mom, she's alive. And there is a certain someone who knows where she is."

"And this someone iiiisss?

I hesitated to say it, considering all that we've been through. Looking at my hands, I sighed.

"The baaat.?"

He looked at me like I was crazy, "You can't trust him! Do you not remember everything he's done to you?! How could you work with that- thing?"

"I know. I know that it's ridiculous, but he's the only one that can help me get to her. Floyd, I can find my mom. I can have the family I wanted Floyd. I can-......I can be happy again. I won't rest until I find her..."

There was another long pause.

"Floyd I need your help. I know it's a lot to ask, but I think you owe me."

"I owe you?" He asked

"Uh yeah."

" I can't," he said looking sway from me, making me sigh in frustration, "I have a job to do Dee. I need to finish my mission before i-"

"Get off my car," I ordered hopping down from the trunk. I walked around to the drivers seat, opened the door, and got in the seat. Starting the car, I saw Floyd pop his head into the window.

"Dee, don't do anything you'll regret," he warned. "I'm saying this as a friend."

Without looking at him, I replied, "Some friend you are."

I drove off out of the parking lot, and headed down town. Instead of going home, I stopped at the gym. Yeah, I know. Why? Because I had to get my anger out. I pulled into the alley across from the place, before heading inside. I found the punching bag, and just went to town. Punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing. I did whatever I had to do get the anger out of my system.

I was in the middle of my episode, when I heard something snap behind me. Spinning around, I threw my fist out, but it was caught, so I kicked my left leg. It hit them in the side, and before I could do anything else, I was flipped to the mat below. My mouth was then covered.

"Shh..."

I stared into their brown eyes for a few seconds as I laid there. Shoving them off, I sat up.

"Now what?" I asked not wanting to talk with him.

"Yes."

I looked at then confused, but the only held put their hand and pulled me to my feet.

"What?" I asked again.

"I'll help you. Not him." He said looking behind me.

I was confused, but then groaned in annoyance when it clicked. Slowly spinning around, I saw the bat staring at us.

"What are you doing?" The bat asked.

I shook my head, "what are you talking about? What, a girl and guy can't have a nice, friendly conversation in a gym without being stalked?"

He just stood there, not saying anything. The only thing he did was stare. I waved my arms around, signaling to go away. I then sighed, and looked back at Floyd. He just pointed behind me.

"Are you kidding m-" I looked behind me to see he was gone. "me. Every damn time. I swear...What's with that guy and vanishing?"