Five

Five (Edited)

        When the house comes into view I quickly walk ahead of him and make sure the door slams in his face. I hope it hits him in his smug little face (too bad the chances of it actually hurting are low). I'm so not in the mood to deal with his crap after that little stunt he pulled.

        "Baby, come on! I didn't do anything!" he yells as I rush upstairs. It's only seven in the morning of the first day with my mate and I already want to scratch his eyes out of his perfectly symmetrical head.

        No, you do not, my wolf says and I internally glare at her after I get over the initial shock of her talking to me in the first place. This is definitely something new and I can't decide whether I like it or not.

        What would you know? You've never even talked to me before yesterday, I snarkily reply.

        That is still my mate you are insulting. Colton can be a little hard headed at times and Benjamin just fuels his fire.

        Well then do me a favor and tell your mate to stay out of our business, I snap.

        How dare you say that! Benjamin is as much your mate as Colton is mine and you are as much Benjamin's mate as I am Colton's mate! We are one in the same, not two separate beings! I cringe at the thunderous tone of her voice. It must be true when people tell me that their wolf is giving them a headache; I should've believed them. Unfortunately, it doesn't take away from the fact that, however annoying she is, I know in my heart that she's right. We are all each other's mates, our goddess "programmed" each wolf to care for both their human and hunter counterpart. The only problem is that I'm not about to start listening to a wolf who's been dormant for most of the time I've had her. We've only ever shifted twice and it was for a short period of time, so she has no right to have a say in what I'm feeling.

        Have you forgotten that we share a soul, human? Of course I have a say in what you are feeling!

        Doesn't mean I care to listen to what you have to say about it, I sassily counter. She stays quiet and I do a little victory dance in my head. If I had known she would be this nag-y I wouldn't have wanted her to come forth in the first place.

        You should really show me more respect, Cassia. I have lived more lives than you could ever imagine. I will not have some rude twenty first century teenage girl disrespect me, especially when I do everything in my power to protect you! she roars in my head. I flinch and cover my ears at the shock of her loud statement, coming to a halt in the middle of a dimly lit hallway.

        There's nothing to be protected from, Zara! Even if there was, all you've done is lay dormant while people teased me for being smaller than an Omega! I'm weak, you're weak, we're both weak! Don't try to chastise me and act like you're "protecting" me when you're not, I huff at her.

        All of a sudden I feel a tingling sensation spread throughout my body as a guttural growl escapes my lips. It stops faster than it began and I stand there in disbelief, my jaw hanging open wide enough to catch flies. Did... did Zara just take over my body?

        You do not know anything, human. It is not fair of you to judge me and call me "weak". There is a storm coming and you are right in the middle of it. Soon the only person you will be able to trust is me and yes, that includes our mate, too. No one will be safe. For now you need to stop fighting with him and take the opportunity to be with Colton and his wolf, Benjamin, because there will come a time when you can no longer do that. This conversation has drained my energy and I must now gather up my strength again. Just remember that I will be here for you when all else fails, whether we are on good terms or not, I feel her retract back into a dormant phase and I want to pull my hair out. Cryptic much?!