CHAPTER II- "What am I? Dead?"

Chapter II

“What am I? Dead?”

I finished my breakfast faster than I finished changing my clothes. I was starving.

“Thanks.” I talked, mouth full.

“Yeah. Sure.” He looked away after a really long stare. He must be fascinated with the way I eat. Yeah, like a pig.

“No. I mean it. Thank you.” I insisted. “You know, you should stop acting like this.  One moment you’re all Mr. Niceynice then you’re a pain. Is this really you?”

“No. But this is me when I’m talking to strangers. How about you? Is that you, talking like we’ve been best friends since forever, and you don’t even know my full name?” He looked away and stared at the window.

E-motional. He’s handsome alright, but sooo not my type. I avoid drama as much as possible.

“Okay. I’m sorry.  I’m Kirsten Caroline Gates, seventeen, enchanted to meet you.” I made it as sarcastic as possible.

“hiyeah, and I’m pissed.” He muttered under his breath.

I looked down. “Look, I’m sorry. But honestly, I’m grateful that somebody would be this kind hearted. I’m mentally lost. Actually, if I try, I think I can find my way back home, but I don’t want to.”  I sat beside him.  “I know I turned my back from a lot of people when I left and had that crash. It’s unfair for their part but somehow, I like this selfishness. It’s the first time I ever felt that I could stand on my own. Cheesy but true.” I exaggerated the last sentence.

He pulled a smile. “Why what’s your deal?”

Here’s my big speech. Inhale.Exhale.

“You see, my dad would like to remarry. I don’t really like the woman but she’s not the big deal. Mom is. She’s passed away, alright. But I don’t think it’s best if she’d leave mom’s memories like that. I’m sorry, I’m not good at this.” I sighed.

He scorned. “You know, you’re selfish.”

“I know. Maybe that’s why I ran away.”

“Well, that’s an understatement.”

“Really? Well, enough about me. What’s your deal then?”

“Oh yeah? What makes you think I’d tell you?” he said not moving his eyes.

“Because you will, Matthew. If you won’t, I’d figure it out. You don’t know me and I promise I’d figure it out even if it were the last thing I’d do. That I promise you. So just give it up.” I tried to make my voice a bit threatening, but not too much. Don’t want him to suspect me. Oh looky, here’s a little stalker.

He sighed. “Fine. My name’s Carl Matthew Black. No,Rebekka Black and I are not related. Moving on. I’m 18, and welcome to my vacation house.”

His Vacation House?  You kidding me? My dad could never even afford this!  I tried to keep my expression blank as possible, though I was interested as hell.

“I was engaged. Arranged to be married and stuff.” He snickered. “I really, like the girl, no, I fell for her, I think I was in lo-, I like her very much maybe or…. Goddamnit , this is hard.” He took a deep breath. I can see this is really hard for him. “I fell in love with her.”

Yeah?

“At first, I thought the feeling was mutual.” He stuttered. “Her name was Vanessa. She’s Hot.” He let out a nervous laugh. “Dad always told me to do this, do that, someday, I’m going to be as great as he is. You know, all those shit. This vacation house is my only escape. I don’t know but sometimes, I forget reality and for a moment, appreciate all these.”