Chapter 21

I gave into my wolf who was now screaming for blood. He took full control and I was vaguely aware that he was taking peoples lives, I didn't care. I had lost the only thing that I had left to give and now I was alone, completely alone to run a entire pack at 10. I knew I wasn't up for it and was about to give up all together until I heard a baby's startled cry. I struggled back to the surface of my consciousness to see a man killing a woman from my pack who was holding a small baby. The baby was crying and as I moved forward she opened her eyes and peered through the tears at me and I knew there was something special about her and in front of my eyes they changed from a dull gray to the most striking red, she must have felt something cause she started to cry again, her blond curls bouncing about. The woman who was holding her clutched her close, burying the baby's face in her chest. The man sneered and cut the woman's arm, he was trying to get her to put down the baby. I bounded into the clearing and as the man saw me coming he ran the knife across the woman's neck, causing her to fall into a crumpled heap with the still crying baby clutched in her arms. The man looked at me and sneered, shifting into a large deep brown wolf I shifted to my midnight black one and we lept at each other, growling and ripping at one another. I sunk my teeth deep into his left flank, erupting a yelp from deep within him. I tossed him from myself and he landed on the crumpled woman and the red eyed baby, wrenching a scream from the baby, I took his neck between my teeth and hurled him off of them, flinging him into a tree, snapping his spine. I shifted, hardly careing that I was naked and looked into the face of the baby that I had just saved and gasped, she had a long gash in her face that I knew would scar, I picked up a scrap of shredded clothes that littered the ground. And as I looked into her eyes, my uncles eyes, I knew that I would take care for her until I couldn't anymore.