Chapter 4

Luke's Point of View

Being Alpha, I was running point on the nights patrol. Adam and James started to mess around and get out of formation. A growled at them and they quickly snapped back into line, I was having a bad night and they knew not to upset their already vicious Alpha with their usual bullshit.

'You need to lighten up' James thought. Werewolves can hear each others thoughts as if they were speaking aloud. The connection between pack members was not as strong as that of the one between mates. Adam and James were both mated but I was not. If I was anyone but the Alpha this would not have been a big deal, but the pack needed a Luna so I needed a mate. I was pulled back to reality by the sound of a wolf crashing though the forest, my forest. We all started running faster towards the sound. I smelled a female wolf off to my right. James growled and i heard her growl back, when my eyes finally located her I saw the most beautiful red wolf with the purest green eyes, they looked like emeralds. She stared back at me and my wolf purred at the sight of her. Every molecule of my being screamed 'Mate'! I saw her relax and I knew that she had felt it too. But as she relaxed her body collapsed. I shifted and pulled on my clothes hastily before running to her side.

"What's wrong with her Luke?" Adam asked me. He had shifted back as well. I eyed his shorts tied to his ankle meaningfully and he pulled then on. He still looked at me with a question in his eyes.

"I don't know, but I am going to take her back to my room in the pack house. She is to stay with me. I want one of you two to get the pack doctor Amber and inform her that my mate will be in my room." Both Adam and James gasped at the word mate but a smile broke across Adams face, and he put a hand on my shoulder. James turned on heel and sprinted to the pack house to alert Amber. I felt heat coming off of the beautiful wolf in front of me and turned to see that she had shifted back to her human form. The wolf inside me instantly got protective.

"Look away!" I yelled at Adam. "No one is to see my mate naked but me." He immediately turned his head away. I looked down at the perfect girl in front of me. She had long straight black hair with curls at the bottom, her eyes were shut but I knew that they were green, her lips were a perfect double curve that immediately made me want to kiss her. My eyes raked hungrily down her body and I saw that she was to thin to be healthy and there were scars all over her flawless skin. As my eyes noted her curves I noticed a bullet hole in her shoulder that immediately made me furious. Who dared to touch my mate? Let alone hurt her! I took off my shirt and wrapped it around her frail, cold body and clutched her close to my chest so she could get warm. I felt her shudder and go even more limp, I was terrified until I heard her heartbeat. It was frail and distant, but still there. I started to run as fast as I could to the pack house without jostling her. Her blood started to trickle onto my arms from her back. I looked down at my perfect little mate in my arms and I knew that I couldn't live without her, now that I had found her I wanted her to stay. I didn't know her name but as I looked at her scars and wounds I knew that I would protect her from anything more. I reached the pack house and as I burst through the door every ones heads swiveled to look at me. I heard a few of the women gasp as they took in the unconscious girl in my arms. I ran up the stairs to my room at the top floor. I burst into my book strewn room to find Amber and James waiting in my room. James left and shut the door behind him leaving my mate, Amber, and I alone.