Chapter 7

Luke’s Point of View

I was having the most amazing dream, I was in wolf form following the most beautiful red wolf in existence, when suddenly the ground started to shake and she changed from red to white. She started at me through those emerald eyes and I could see our future together. I saw us date, her as a human in a long flowing white dress, our honeymoon, then three little black haired children running of into the distance promising to be careful, us living forever in each other’s arms, immortal because of our inner wolves. I had an ache in the pit of my stomach and my wolf howled at the thought of us. I ran towards her but before I could reach her, her wolf turned and ran. I started to panic until I heard her whisper my name.

"Luke." she said and I turned to find her smiling at me in her human form. She stalked closer and her angelic smile turned deadly, she sprang on me and I jolted awake to find my real mate flying through the air at me brandishing a sharp letter opener. I knocked it from her grasp. She landed next to me and her hand reached for my chest, for a moment I thought she wanted me to hold her but as I saw her claws come out, I knew that this wasn't the case. I curled her claws back into her fist and as my fingers touched her hand a warm sensation shot throughout my body, it was like fire and electricity and a familiar sharp cold sensation. Her growls turned to low moans and my wolf was barking at me to mate with her, and soon. I shook my head to clear it, for thoughts of mating with her were bubbling up in my head. I caught her in my arms and pulled her to my chest. I pulled her onto my lap, she started to struggle but she was so weak I could tell that just jumping at me drained her. Panting, she turned to me and our eyes locked. This overwhelming feeling of complete and utter rightness washed over me.

"Is that any way to treat your Alpha? Your Mate?" I whispered in her ear, I nudged her neck and felt her shiver as my warm breath trailed down her cold skin. She was too cold in fact, but she looked as if she would break if I moved her.

"Will you be still so I can put you back on the bed? You will catch a cold down here." I asked. She nodded and I stood up as smoothly as I could but I could feel her tense and hear her breath catch. A little piece of my heart died to see her in this kind of pain; I vowed that no one would touch her in a harming way ever again. I sat her gently down on the bed and covered her with blankets. I heard her stomach grumble and I smiled.

"Are you hungry honey? What would you like to eat?'' I asked

"Yes, I’ll get up and cook. If I am allowed to eat." She responded. Her voice was a little hoarse but it still sounded like the most perfect instrument, it surrounded me like honey and I let myself just listen for a minute until what she said sunk in. Was she not allowed to eat in her old pack? That explained her malnutrition as well as weakness, her stomach growled and I was angered that anyone would dare not give my mate what she desired let alone a basic need such as food!

"Allowed to eat? What do you mean? And don’t even think of getting out of bed, you can barely walk let alone cook." I said, she looked as if she were going to get up anyways.

"Melina!" I yelled down the stairs. I heard a laugh and a door open, Melina walked into the room wearing a long flannel shirt that came down to her knees and white socks, her long straight blonde hair was a little messed up, it seemed as if she had just gotten out of bed. Her shirt reeked od her mate Daniel and her cheeks flushed on her kind face when I raised my eyebrow at her, evidentally her and Daniel were having some quality alone time.

"Yes Alpha?" she questioned, her eyes found my angel and a smile stretched across her face.

"Is this her? Your mate?" she looked at her and said "Hello my name is Melina." Melina smiled at my mate.

"What’s your name?" I asked my mate, for I still did not know, and Melina through me a questioning glace.

'You don’t know her name?' she thought, as it ran through my mind I thought about how weird it was that I was willing to die for the small girl laying on my bed but I didn’t even know her name.

"Iris, Iris Swisher." Came her angelic voice from across the room, pulling me out of my droning thoughts. Iris, what a beautiful name, it fit her perfectly.

"Well Iris, I think we are going to be great friends." Melina crossed the room and Iris flinched but allowed Melina to sit on the bed with her.

"Melina? Will you watch her? I’m going to go get her something to eat." I asked.

"Of course I will Luke." she responded before turning to my Iris "that is, if you want me to stay." Iris nodded a little and Melina smiled. I turned and slipped from the room. I raced down the stairs and into the kitchen; I looted the fridge and found some bacon and a few eggs. I cracked the eggs and put them in a pan before placing the bacon in another. Soon the smell of breakfast filled the air, drawing my little sister into the kitchen.

"Alice? Wow you’re up early." I laughed as she dramatically rubbed her eyes and yawned, Alice was about 13 and was very strange, she had shoulder length brown mousy colored hair that was frizzy unless she pulled it back, today she had it in pigtails, she had brown eyes and was wearing Winnie the Pooh pajama pants and a yellow tank top. Alice was a weird child, she spent her days in her room reading or in one of the pack elders rooms learning all of our old legends and lore. She often spouted out random facts, not realizing that though they fit along with what she was thinking inside her head that the rest of us were thrown off when she did so.

"I smelled food. Ahh! Bacon! The breakfast of kings! Or in my case queens. Did you know that King Henry VIII beheaded two of his six wives?" She smiled and reached into the pan and pulled out a piece of bacon and popped it into her mouth, my sister was a total pig when it came to food. I watched as she didnt feel the burn on her fingers, werewolves can’t feel grease burns, and lucky for her, she did this daily.

"Did you know that all polar bears are left handed?" she said as she finished chewing. I laughed and she frowned. She opened the fridge and grabbed a bag of grapes before floating away back to her bedroom. I heard her door close and laughed again, my sister sure is something, what or from which planet I was not sure, I shook my head. I finished cooking and put it all on a plate and washed the counters and my dishes before darting back up the stairs. I came to a halt outside my door; I heard Iris and Melina’s voices.

"Why is he keeping me here?" I heard Iris whisper. This made my stomach tighten, she thought she was being trapped here?

"Keeping you here? Honey there is nothing to stop you from leaving but your wolf, tell me, does she want to leave him? Can you honestly say you would be happy if you never saw his face again?" Melina asked. I waited with bated breath.

"No, I would be miserable." Iris admitted. I wanted to jump for joy and my wolf howled inside me, happy that I found her. Happy I was whole.