Better to be a mystery than an open book

This is a special chapter that is also dedicated to all you fantasy writers because this is the most common issue with fantasy stories (though I've seen this in other genres as well *glare*).

I have noticed while perusing works within one of my favorite genres, there is invariably a giant freaking paragraph sitting at the start of the story. It's like a giant, hideous, sequin-wearing elephant sitting right smack in the middle of the page.

What are you people thinking? Drag your minds away from the towers-entwined-with-dragons-where-aliens-are-gyrating-and-unicorns-are-prancing-land where you all reside for just a ruddy minute.  

When you're reading, do you like seeing a giant wad of text? I know I don't. In fact, it sort of makes me shy away and avoid contact like when that creepy neighbor you have suddenly waves to you while you're walking with friends. What an uncomfortable situation.

So dear writers, please avoid the information dump. If you have to say something for the rest of the story to make sense -- go ahead, explain. But if it's something that can be revealed slowly, explained at a later time or isn't even important to the story, cut it. 

Having all sorts of extra information like how the character's second cousin who only shows up in the first scene is distantly related to some crazy cool falcon people doesn't make your story more awesome. What it does do is give the reader more chances to give up on your story.

If I don't understand what's the idea of the story right away, I'll get bored, my eyes will glaze over, and I'll drop the story. No questions asked.