Chapter 4 - Forgetting

"Hey Marlin. I'm sorry, but I can't talk to you right now. I first have to get myself all right. I don't know what's going on with me right now, but I promise you that I'll tell you about everything, when I figured it out."

---

In the rest of my holidays I spend much time with thinking of Nate. I still didn't know what exactly was going on with me. But I knew that I missed him. And there was only one possibility to do for me. I only could ask Louis for Nate's number. The only way to contact him. And it also was the only way for him, too. I didn't know, for whom it would be more suspicious. I don't know how he would react, if one of us asked him. In my way, he would probably talk to my parents and I would prefer doing this by myself. Although they are very liberal, I don't know what they would think of meeting a guy twice my age. In Nate's way my uncle would probably talk to him first and tell him how irresponsible this would be. So I had no choice. I had to forget him. To be honest, it was silly to think about a relationship with him. The age gap was just too big.

---

Today was my first day back at school. It had been three whole weeks since I saw Nate the last time. Three whole weeks, in which I spend too much time with thinking of him. I kept telling me that he is way too old and that I should just forget him. It still wasn't easy, but I managed to get along with myself fairly by now. At least I could go to school again and nobody get suspicious. I behaved normal again and I was sure that the time will come, when I would get over this silly feelings, which I wasn't even sure about.

I was just walking back to the table where my friends were sitting at with my lunch on the tablet in my hands. I really missed this terrible full canteen. I looked down at my full tablet and walked straight into a guy. My whole tablet fell on the floor and I cursed. He didn't even carry something, so couldn't he just look around a bit more?

"Hey, I'm so sorry. I was somewhere else with my thoughts. Can I help you?", he said and kneeled down on my opposite. Yes, you can. Just shut up and don't make it worse.

"It's ok", I answered looking up to him. I had seen him before, he was one year older than me. He always stands with the 'cool guys' in front of school. He had gelled hair and wore baggy clothes and a cap. He clearly thinks he was something better.

"No, I really want to help you. Can I indemnify this somehow? Wait, I have an idea. How about an invitation to Sammie's? After school?", he bombarded me. What shall this become? Sammie's was the best ice cream parlor you could find in the whole borough. But it also was fucking expensive. Nobody would just go there after school. Well, maybe he really was something better. He looks like this kind of guy, whose parents have too much money. Well, why not. I was getting this whatever-attitude lately. Well, actually since I saw Nate for the last time. I shook my head and tried to bounce of my thoughts of him. I just had to forget him, was it this hard? Luckily, this guy didn't see it.

"Well, if I have to", I said as arrogant as possible and got up with my lunch again. He smiled this typical smile for those guys.

"Great. Four o'clock at the school entry? And by the way, I'm Noah", he said with this silly grin.

"Julie", I said expressionless.

"Well, then see you later, Julie", he smiles and walked away.

Why not, I thought. Maybe he was nicer than he seemed to be. And this was a great possibility to forget Nate.

---

I was sitting in Maths for the last few minutes. I hadn't listened very much this lesson. I had decided to give this Noah a chance. Maybe he wasn't that bad. And maybe I would fall in love with him and maybe would have forgotten Nate completely in a while. I finally heard the bell and we all got up. I said goodbye to my friends and walked outside. Maybe he wouldn't even come. But he stood outside the door and waited for me. He smiled when he saw me. I inhaled and exhaled slowly. It isn't his fault if I felt something for Nate.

"Hey", I smiled at him.

"Hey! Seems like your mood is way better than earlier", Noah said and we started to walk.

"Well, yeah. But it wasn't your fault. I wasn't angry with you", I told him.

"Ok, that's good. So you are a Junior, don't you?", he asked me.

"Yeah, and you're a Senior?", I asked looking at him. He nodded.

"You'll probably not believe me, but you attracted my attention at school before", he said smiling.

I looked at him with raised eyebrows and said nothing. Why should I? I wasn't even in his year. He nodded for intensification. We walked a while in silence.

"Where do you come from? You don't sound like you're from New York", I asked him. I couldn't identify his accent, but he definitely came from the west.

"Yeah, I'm from Seattle", he said and added "Washington DC."

"I know. So your family moved here?"

"When I was nine. My Dad is a banker and he was relocated. It was easy for my Mum to find a new job, because she's kindergartener and there are always far too few. Me and my brother came to a new school, so we live here for nearly eight years by now. That's where my funny accent is from", he laughed.

"Well, I don't have such a spectacular story. I was born in New York and grew up here, but at least I have an aunt, who lives in Germany", I told him and we both had to laugh. Actually he wasn't that unkind.

We came to Sammie's and it was just as beautiful inside as I had always imagined when I had walked over before. There were small tables, each with nice decoration. We sat down and looked at each other. Actually he was a cute little guy. He wasn't really big for a man, as I had noticed before. Not much bigger than me and I am either particularly small nor big. He had blonde hair and his eyes were in a deep blue. He looked like the classical stereotype.

"So, choose anything you want. I'll pay", Noah said.

"Your Dad earns quite much, don't he?", I asked skeptically.

He laughed. "Well, not too much. but it's enough."

It was too much. Otherwise he wouldn't tell a girl he had just met that she can choose anything she wants.

I took the menu laying in front of me. The prices were horrible for an simple ice cream bowl. But I took my decision and handed Noah the menu.

"So, what do you want?", he asked me.

"Strawberries and raspberries with white chocolate", I said smiling. I loved white chocolate, but I also chose something that wasn't too expensive. That wouldn't be fair.

He symbolized the waitress that he wanted to order.

She came over and he told her that we wanted two White-Straspberry-bowls.

"Crazy names", he said shaking his head when she walked away again.

---

We had now nearly eaten up and it was just unbelievable. I had never tasted such a delicious ice cream. We talked about this and that, about our family, about his crazy dog and about school. He just told me about a teacher he had last year, who gave him bad notes just because he was from Seattle. I had completely forgotten Nate and my stupid feelings. I looked outside and saw a man walking over alone. I knew this hair...wait. I knew this leather jacket. No, this couldn't be Nate. I got up and ran outside after this man. It was Nate. I grabbed his arm and finally looked into this rainbow-eyes again.

"Hey, Julie. I'm so sorry, I wanted to contact you, but I didn't know how. I...", he started helplessly and interrupted himself, when I simply hugged him. I shouldn't have tried to forget him.