The Runaway

Hey everyone! thanks so much for reading up until now. i will keep re-writing this story and posting it up, so hope you enjoy the latest one!!!   

     “Are you ok?” asked my mom. She started crawling towards me.

“What do you think?” I replied, acid dripping from my voice. “I just killed a man that was supposed to help me.”

I turned away.

“It’s ok, at least were all together.” My mom said, trying to sound hopeful. I knew she was just trying to cheer me up, but I didn’t want to hear any of it.

“It doesn’t matter. Tomorrow I’ll just have to kill another person just to keep us alive. I didn’t ask for any of this, what did I do that was so wrong?”

I heard my mom sigh and scoot away.

     I don’t know how long I stayed in that corner. It felt like days even though it was probably only a couple hours. The moon came out and created that light in the middle of the room. I crawled over, to lazy to stand, and looked up through it. So many stars were out now that I knew I wasn’t in the city. Thousands of stars lit the dark blue sky, and right in the middle was the crescent moon.

     Just then a shooting star zoomed across the sky. I don’t know what it was about the star, but it gave me hope. I could still remember the nights my parents and I would just lay on a blanket and gaze at the stars, not even talking, though I could still feel the love by the gentle touch of their shoulders against mine. I smiled and prayed. I hadn’t prayed in years, but I had to have faith and hope to make it through this. I opened my eyes slowly and looked at my parents. They were talking, as if nothing bad was happening. They were trying to set an example, so that it would seem like we would make it through this, still a family. I stood up and limped over, my ankle still getting worse, and sat down next to them.

     “I’m sorry.” I whispered. I looked up at my parents; they were giving me the smile that parents give there children when they’re proud of them. The one that’s so full of affection and love, you couldn’t imagine a life without seeing it.

     “It’s ok sweetie. I would have acted the same way that you would have. We just want you to know that we love you.” My dad said.

     I smiled and hugged them. I looked over at Devon, who was watching the touching scene. He looked away, and started whistling casually. I giggled and walked over and gave him a hug, too. He was so familiar, and comforting. I buried my head in his chest as we stood there for a few minutes, just rocking back and forth. ‘I’m so lucky to have my family here’ I thought. Even though this could be the last day I live, I wouldn’t mind, knowing that my family was safe and that Devon still loved me through this unimaginable horror.

     When we finally broke apart, we sat on the mattress, and held hands staring at each other. The moon shone down on his perfectly sculpted face. It’s then I noticed how tired and malnourished he looked. His usually perfect face was now slightly thinner and more sunken in, making him look older than he actually was.

     He saw the look of worry on my face and begun humming our song. The one that always relaxed me and made me just want to lie with him forever. It was ‘I’ll Follow You Into the Dark’ by Death Cab for Cutie (disclaimer: I do not own the song or the band). I saw him smile as my eyelids finally drifted shut.

     I woke up on leather, the gentle humming of the engine, and the soft breeze of the air conditioner. I bolted upright and looked around. The man was in the front seat driving. Outside the town and the lake, Lake St.Claire, rushed past us. Even though it was still morning, there was a bunch of boats out. Happy children jumped off the swim platforms, and adults sunbathed with a beer in there hand, not knowing that right beside them was someone screaming on the inside for help. The sun hit the lake and it shimmered, like an ocean of crystals.

“Morning, ready for your next task?” The man asked, cheerfully. I turned away, rolling my eyes.

“Hope you are. Today, I want you to take care of this woman.”

     He held up a picture of a woman in her late 20’s. She had red hair, tan skin, and a smile on her face that showed her white as snow teeth.

“She has a 30 foot boat, black and gold.”

He pulled over and got out. He went to the trunk, and returned with a tankini. He threw it and pointed to a porta-poty. I frowned with disgust and walked into the horrible thing.

     When I came out the man pushed me down the beach and into the water.

“I’m watching you. Leave and I kill your family, mess up I kill your family. Kill her and come back. If you’re not back within 2 hours,”

“You’ll kill my family.” I concluded

“You better watch it.” he said, pointing his grubby little finger at me.

     The water was freezing, and the sun was warm. I quickly made my way to the boats. The sand in between my toes tickled, and the smell of water and sun was amazing. I didn’t have time for this. I trudged through the water making my way through the hundreds of boats. There was a bridge that kids and some adults were jumping off of. I think I was at Harson’s island.

     After about an hour of walking, and boys whistling, I found what might be the boat. I slowly walked up to it. A red headed woman was lying on one of the chairs with sunglasses on. She looked to be alone. On the side of the boat was a 300, which meant 30 feet. I frowned, not wanting to enter the boat.

     I sighed and walked to it. I jumped on the swim platform and shuddered from the cold air as it beat against my naked skin. I don’t want to do this I thought as I prepared myself for another event that would alter my life in a bad way.

Thanks again for reading, don't forget to comment down below :)