07 | d e c e a s e d

BES

I couldn't believe my eyes when I heard her name on the news. It's April 4th, and it's been exactly a month since I've hung out with her.

"The body of Shayla Nico was found in the trunk of a vehicle the night of April 2nd with her throat cut. The authorities have not yet made a complete statement but claim there are reasons to believe that this was a gang related murder."

My jaw literally drops and I let out a choked gasp.

How could this be? I just saw her a couple of days ago!

Oh, God. Poor Elliot.

I have to talk to him.

Sure, I am not nearly as affected as he most likely is, but this is honestly heartbreaking.

Although I had cast some harsh judgments about her the first time we had hung out, most of it was because of my crush on Elliot; not really on her character. After we had begun talking more and more; mostly in the hallways; I realized how her and Elliot seemed to be good for one another - even if he wasn't everything she needed.

Since then I had somewhat let my Elliot crush go. Of course he was an extremely appealing guy - at the time - but clearly he was taken. Oddly enough he hasn't been showing up to work as much as he should be. Everyone at Allsafe has basically the same schedule so I'm not sure what his problem is.

Although that's troublesome, I still would like to express my condolences. Shayla was a funny, unique girl and she didn't deserve her life to be ended that way. Nobody really does.. now that I think about it.

Maybe I should bake some cookies first?

What if he doesn't like cookies? Ah, fuck it. I'm making some cookies.

I have recently found a deep love for baking, especially when I'm stressed from work.

• • •

After I have let the chocolate chip cookies cool down, I put my phone in my back pocket and start putting them all on a plate with some tinfoil on top. Then I leave my apartment.

It takes about two steps and I'm right in front of Elliot's apartment door. And... Shayla's.

I look at her door longingly and I wonder if her family has already came in and took care of her things or if everything has been left the way it was.

I slowly inhale and exhale trying to not let the tears I feel coming spill out. I have to be strong. For Elliot. Plus I feel uncomfortable crying for someone I didn't know nearly as well as he did.

I knock my signature knock and wait patiently to get a reply.

It's been almost a minute.

I go to knock again and then his door swings wide open.

Oh no. He looks like SHIT.

I take in his features. Puffy under eye bags, pinpointed pupils and messy hair. It looks like he's been wearing the same clothes for a week, even though he's always in that black hoodie.

"Elliot. I'm so sorry." I type. I wish I could throw some emotion into the way my phone speaks for me to be able to express to him how really sorry I am.

"Why?" He questions.

I raise an eyebrow. He must know that her murder is all over the news.

"Um. Shayla?"

His eyes get wider and he almost gulps loudly.

"How do you know about that?" In some way his voice almost sounds.. panicked?

"Elliot, it's all over the news." I type and then try and hand him the plate of cookies.

"I made these for you. I didn't know if you liked chocolate chip or not but I figured it might be a comfort food, even though I know it probably won't help-" He interrupts my typing.

"Come in." He says quietly and turns around leaving the door open, inviting me in.

I guess you could say I'm shocked. Clearly I didn't think he was going to be alright let alone let me into his apartment.

I mean, I suppose I should clarify he doesn't really look alright. He looks tragic. But to be honest I thought he'd probably look worse than this, and not so ready to jump at the opportunity of company.

I personally don't know how to deal with death, If you haven't picked up on that quite yet. I'm not even exactly sure how to comfort someone mourning - maybe the cookies are a good start.

I follow Elliot into his apartment and I scan the room. He has a bed, a desk with a computer and other electronic devices.

Things are haphazardly strewn around the place, nothing exactly where it should be.

And then I see it.

Down on his coffee table.. there
is a mirror, and there is some white powder, in perfect rows, ready to snort.

I almost drop the fucking plate of cookies.

I try to avert my eyes and pretend I totally did not see that, even if Elliot's back is turned to me.

"What did they say about her?" He questions as he turns around to face me.

I set the cookies down on his counter and sit on his bed, carefully trying to avoid the area next to the powdered drugs on his coffee table.

I pull out my phone and type, "Well.. They just stated that they found her.. in the trunk.. of a vehicle."

Meanwhile I'm cringing the whole time, mainly because I don't want to say anything that will set him off.

For some reason I feel like he already knows exactly what happened.

------
thanks for reading ! -ivory