--

As he walked towards the front desk Jefferson tried to remember the names of Mulligan's parents; he'd met them sometime when he dropped Laf off at their house before he could drive himself. They introduced themselves and shook his hand before he left. It was H something; it was Irish. 

Hugh, Hugh and Sarah.

"Hello, I'm here to see Hugh and Sarah Mulligan."

The man at the front desk looked up at him.

"You family?"

He asked. Thomas didn't think that would be important.

"I'm friends with their son?"

The man gave him a strange look as he typed something on his computer

Thomas wasn't sure if he was ignoring him or not when he suddenly spoke hesitantly.

"They're in room 578; it's on the fifth floor."

"Thank you."

"But wait son, you do know that they're..."

Thomas didn't hear the end of the sentence; he'd already stepped into the elevator.

-

When he got to the fifth floor, he looked around for Mulligan.

Above every door he passed was a large plastic sign, dark but with white fonts. No fancy lettering, just bold and all-caps. It was new and immaculate.

He had to make a few turns before he recognized the man pacing outside a room. He looked terrible.

"Hercules." He said as he walked towards him.

"Thomas."

The hospital hallway had as much personality as the rest of it.

The plain beige tile lead onwards past identical doorways decorated in gray.

The walls naturally grew from the floor and extended up to the matching ceiling.

It was a place of illness, a place to be slowly forgotten.

After that it was a slow ride to the mortuary, dull eyes shifted toward the sun that lingered tenaciously on the wrong side of the dirty window plane.

"Have you been here all night?"

Hercules choked down a sob as Thomas grabbed his shoulder and led him to two chairs right outside the room. They sat down.

"I got called last night and told there'd been an accident and that they were here."

He took a deep breath before whispering,

"I still got to talk to them; I got to say goodbye."

Thomas rubbed his back; he had these strong maternal instincts; he had to protect everyone and everything.

"Are they..." He didn't want to finish the sentence.

"They died."

"I'm sorry."

Hercules started crying again; emotional pain flowed out of each pore.

From his mouth came a cry that was so raw that even the eyes of the few strangers around them started tearing up.

Thomas wasn't good with death, he'd never been around it a lot; and when he had, it wasn't pretty.

"I'm gonna go get Laf...and Laurens and Alexander." He said as he stood up, but Mulligan grabbed his hand without looking up.

"P-please don't leave," he stammered.

"Hey, it's okay, I'll just text them."

He sat back down next to Mulligan and put his arm around his shoulders in an attempt to comfort him. He sent Alexander a text.

Come to the hospital, I found Mulligan, bring Laf and Laurens.

A second later his phone pinged with a reply.

What happened????

Is he okay??????

We're on our way.

Mulligan sat next to him, still sobbing.

Before he knew it, he was holding his brother's boyfriend in his arms, whispering to him that it would be okay. 

But would it?

972 words

this was so genuinely hard to write but hey I didn't kill Herc tho? (I was gonna)

I hope it's not really really really bad.

that's it for now

ily,