[23] mend,

Hamilton came home to an empty dorm the night of the breakup; which was strange because Jefferson had barely left for weeks.

He didn't worry too much about it, instead going straight to his room to get his laptop and placing it harshly on the coffee table in front of the couch before sitting down. 

He wasn't mad; he was just a little hurt. 

Alex hadn't cried at all since reading the letter he had found at the library and still didn't feel like it. 

He started writing almost instantly after opening a writing program on his computer. 

My dearest, Eliza
I am writing to inform you of my view of this supposed breakup.
 I loved you. I still do. I have never loved someone as much as you.
I have never felt as loved as I did around you.
I want to apologize for our fight.
What I did was wrong.
 You are perfect Elizabeth Schuyler.
 And I know I pointed out every reason you weren't, but you need to understand that I was only defending myself and my habits.
Your perfectness lies in your imperfectness.
I once read a proverb that said that instead of complaining the rose bush is full of thorns we should be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
You have ten roses for each thorn Eliza.
I acknowledge my mistakes, but in my defense, I had all the right to try and fight. 

He continued writing for about eighteen pages; until he heard a door open. 

He abruptly closed his laptop as Jefferson entered. 

"Hey, when'd you get here?" He asked a little too happily for his usually downbeat self. 

Alexander didn't bother to look up as he put the computer down on the coffee table. 

"Um, a few hours ago maybe." He got ready to stand up and go to bed. 

"No Schuyler over tonight?" Jefferson asked. 

He had noticed it had been a while since Eliza had been over but then again it had been a while since he'd properly seen Hamilton. 

Hamilton's face turned red nearly the second he mentioned her name. 

Jefferson noticed. 

He slowly put his bag down and sat down next to Hamilton, poking his shoulder lightly. 

Alexander flinched a little at his touch before continuing to answer the question.

 "No, she um, she dumped me." 

Jefferson was stunned.

 He tried his hardest to conceal the smile that for some reason started breaking out in him. 

But Hamilton was too busy hiding the tears burning behind his eyes even to notice. 

"I'm...I'm sorry...what happened?" 

Jefferson asked, now as serious as he could be. 

Hamilton bit his lip.
"I was at the library, and there was a letter there from her in which she broke up with me." 

Thomas raised his eyebrows. 

Through letter? 

"Yes," he started, for some reason, the tears felt like now was a good time to start coming. 

"But she appeared out of nowhere and then left." 

Jefferson examined his roommate's face. 

"Are you okay?" He finally asked softly.

 "I'm fine, I'm fine,"
Alexander said, more to himself. He didn't look fine to Thomas. 

"It's just that she made me happy, and I was so happy, even if we were only together for like two months, I fucked up." 

Alexander buried his face in his hands. 

I love you, Thomas wanted to say. 

Out of nowhere, Alexander leapt onto his former nemesis, hiding his face on his chest, sobbing his eyes out. 

Jefferson was taken by surprise but put his arms around him slowly and just held him. 

It wasn't a school night anyway.

---

 Only a person that had already made their way into a heart could have the option to break it; to shatter it to pieces. 

The heartbreak was cold and unexpected. It felt like concrete slowly drying in his heart.

 It had been a week since Alexander's breakup, but the heartbreak still choked the breath from his body and short circuited his mind. What was once a strong, proud soul was nothing but fragments on the floor, scared that the next wind would blow them away. 

But with the time, his soul started to mend; and even though he refused to leave their dorm outside of classes as he had to keep his grades up for his scholarship; Jefferson made sure never to leave him alone.

 Whether he'd be with his friends or his friend's new boyfriend; at the end of the day, Jefferson was always there to slowly start putting together the complex puzzle that was Alexander Hamilton.

758 words

ily,