"I... I understand." Renji sounded disappointed but he kept his cool.
"Thank you. We'll talk more when I get back, okay?"
"Okay. Look after yourself."
"And you."

She hung up the phone and sighed in relief. It was surprising at how well he took it, especially since he knew Sesshomaru was a demon. But the worst was over. Just then, Kagome's mother walked in to bid her farewells. Lyra handed her the phone before they both jumped down the well.

***

Sesshomaru's week without Lyra had truly been an experience. She had not travelled with them for long, and their secret relationship had been even shorter than that. She had made quite the impact in his life that the days really did drag without her. For all of them. In the space of that week, the Panther Demons had attacked, targeting both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha. He was simply grateful Lyra was present for any of the danger for he knew for sure they would have targeted her. Other than that, his days had been pretty uneventful.

Finally, the day he had been awaiting arrived. He reached the well, leaving Rin and Jaken behind with A-Un. Having time alone with her was what he needed. Shortly after, he was joined by Inuyasha and his friends and instantly sparks of hate shot between them. However, it didn't last for long as just then, the well emitted a short glow.

Kagome climbed out first, jumping over the well shortly followed by Lyra. Sesshomaru instantly walked over to the well before holding his hand out to help her. She smiled and gratefully took hold of his hand as her feet landed on the grass. As she looked up at him, they almost forgot they were in the presence of others.

"Okay, Lyra, I'll see you soon!" Kagome said quickly to divert their attention.
Lyra blinked and turned to her, noticing that they were all watching. "Oh right. Of course. Heh heh... Bye everyone!"

She waved at them and they all said their goodbyes before going on their own journey. As soon as they left, Lyra breathed out deeply before turning back to Sesshomaru. His eyes were already on her, eyes she had missed so much. Being back now, she realised how much she had truly missed the open air.

"You seem well," Sesshomaru spoke first.
Lyra giggled quietly. "I come back after a week and that's all you have to say?"
Sesshomaru leaned down and kissed her forehead. "I have missed you dearly, my beloved."
She smiled softly. "I've missed you, too."

Sesshomaru lifted her hand to place a kiss but was quickly distracted by the bracelet on her wrist. With the diamonds sparkling so prominently, it was difficult not to see it. There was no change in his expression but he could smell another scent emitting from it. Lyra took in a sharp breath and watched him nervously.

"Is this new?" he asked, his eyes glued to the bracelet.
"Yes," she breathed out. "There's something I want to talk to you about."
His eyes darted to hers. "Come."

Holding onto her hand, he lead her away from the well and towards the trees. They walked in silence and all Lyra could hear was the loud beating of her own heart. She was afraid of what he would say. They soon came to a clearing with a waterfall on the far side, the gushing water splashing into a surrounding lake. With the sun reflecting off the sprayed water, the droplets sparkled like diamonds. Similar to the diamonds on the bracelet around her wrist, which Sesshomaru was still gripping onto. Once he let go of her hand, she perched herself on top of a boulder, not wanting to waste time on admiring the nature around them.

"What do you wish to talk about?" Sesshomaru asked as he remained standing.
Lyra didn't know where to begin. "I- Well...it's- I guess..."
"Lyra." Sesshomaru crouched down in front of her and held her hand. "I won't be upset with you. Whenever you're ready."
She smiled softly and held his hand in return before taking a deep breath. "My grandfather made a pact with his best friend that their children would marry. It didn't work out for their children so they decided their grandchildren would marry. Before they both died, they each made it their dying wish and now..." She lowered her head, gazing at their hands joined together. "His name is Kanda. Our fathers' want Kanda and I to be married."