2 - mom's new boyfriend

~

Jo's POV

I finished up setting the table and went back to flipping channels on the couch. I wasn't too stoked to meet this Juancock guy honestly. Ever since my dad left when I was 10, I've been pretty reluctant of mom's boyfriends. They come into her life and expect to come into mine as well when that's exactly what I DON'T want. I'm fine with just my mom and I. What can I say? I don't like change or new people very much.

"Jo, go put something cute on. Stop trying to be edgy and take the Thrasher hoodie off. He'll be here anY MINUTE AHH!", she piped as she noticed the time on the clock.

"I'm not trying to be edgy, Sarah.", I grumbled.

"STOP CALLING ME BY MY NAME I'M YOUR MOM. Now...do I look alright?", she questioned as she adjusted her hair with her fingers.

"Yes, you look good.", I sighed before averting my gaze back to Family Guy. Just then, the doorbell rang sending my mom dashing towards the door.

"oh gOD ITS HIM.", she exclaimed as she scurried while fixing her dress. I stayed put on the couch, having no interest.

"Heyyy, come in! Come in!", I heard her say as she greeted him.

"You look nice.", a soft male voice spoke. "I brought flowers.", he said sheepishly. He sounded...young?

"Oh Jungkook, you shouldn't have! Let me go put these in some water. Here, go have a seat on the couch! Dinner is just about ready.", she chirped before making her way to the kitchen. "And Joanne? Please introduce yourself.", she said with a smile but the sternness in her voice was clear.

"Uh huh.", I replied under my breath.

I heard his footsteps on the wooden floors as he made his way towards the living room.

"Family Guy. Nice.", he chuckled as he sat on the sofa diagonal from the one I was on. My gaze shifted to him, and my jaw immediately dropped.

"What in the hell?", I breathed out. His head turned from the screen to me, and we locked eyes. He gave a slight grin as I studied him.

"Uh-um. You're like...how old?", I choked out.

"I'm 22. And you?", he said nonchalantly.

"I'm 17...and you know my mom is like...36 right?", I asked, still in shock.

"Yep. But hey, age is just a number, right?" , he said with a wink.

"I think I'm gonna be sick.", I muttered as I got up from the couch. "Mom! Can I talk to you...in private?", I said through gritted teeth.

"Sure what- woah ok.", she said as I pulled her into the hallway.

"Mom."

"What?"

"When did you plan on telling me that he was tWENTY-TWO?!", I whispered sharply.

"Well why does it matter? He's grown. I'm grown. It doesn't make a difference. But he's cute right?! I told you he would be!", she piped excitedly.

"Yeah, adorable.", I rolled my eyes. "This is weird."

"Whatever, Jo. Get over it. Just give him a chance.", she retorted before going back to the kitchen.

•••
at dinner

I ate my chicken in silence as mom and Jungkook talked and laughed. I gagged every time she'd do that stupid giggle after he made a joke.

"So Joanne, you're a senior, huh?", he suddenly questioned me.

"Yeah. I am. And call me Jo...please.", I said as I noticed the glare my mom was giving me.

"Ah I remember my senior year like it was yesterday.", he sighed.

"Probably because it was like...yesterday.", I scoffed.

"Jo.", my mom said sharply. "I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse her.", she said with an awkward chuckle.

"No, it's fine!", he smiled as his eyes locked with mine. "I know this may be strange for you considering you and I are fairly close in age, but just wait a bit. I'm sure we'll get along just fine.", he said with a cheeky grin. He was lying through his teeth. Those...those stupid bunny teeth.