Test Subject 13

I do not own Marvel characters plots or ideas.

_________________________________________________________________________

I had a blissfully dreamless sleep as we drove north towards the air field. It was early morning when I woke and still dark outside. While travelling in silence I had time to think about a few things, like what was I doing following Bucky like a lost puppy?

It couldn't be an elaborate plan to kill me or he wouldn't have come back for me. Then another thought came to mind, "Why did you come back for me?" I asked turning to face him. He glanced sideways, "It was'nt really intentional. I heard the shot and turned to have a look."

Well thats not disheartening. "Then I saw..well I'm not sure what I saw," He continued. My face paled, Fuck! "When they started chasing you again, I took em out. I wanted to know what you were."

"So there was no plan to kill me? You're not working for them?" I asked. He shrugged, "Well no there was no plan to kill you if I did'nt have to. And no I do'nt work for them. Not any more."

 I thought about that for a moment then rose my voice one again."Why were you the-" "You ask way too many questions." He stated angrily. I closed my eyes and turned to look out the window again as we turned down a lane.

We stopped outside a small aircraft hanger. Shutting off the lights Bucky grumbled, "We're here." Then not to gently slammed the door as he got out. Wow I really hit a nerve, maybe I should apologies or just stop asking questions.

Bucky effortlessly snapped the lock heading for a very light looking plane in the corner. "Uh Bucky, " "What?" he snapped turning to face me. "That is a glider plain, it has no engine. It needs another plain to tow it to altitude and then glides on the wind."

He scrunched up his face and even in the dim dawn light I swear I saw him turn slightly red. He pointed to the far side of the hanger, "What about that one."  It was an old biplane,yellow in colour with a target pained on the side.

"Yeah, if it works. do you know how to fly it?" I asked. He shrugged again striding in the direction of the pane, "Planes a plane. The older ones are easier actually." ohhh Kay. He knows how to fly the old plain but he did'nt know the other one was a glider weird.

I shook my head and followed him. He was bent over fiddling around with some wiers under the fuel and speed gauges, when I climbed into the passenger seat at the back. As the engine sprung to life it moved shakily out of the hanger and onto the runway.

I just hope he's calmed down by the time we reach England. No more questions, I decided, he will tell me if he wants to. The plane picked up speed and left the runway. Dam this thing was as shaky in the air as it was on the ground.

He stayed low the ground. Thankfully it was early and anyone who did see us wouldn't be expecting fugitives to be making an escape in a biplane. As we flew west towards the British isles the sun peeked over the horizon, when we began crossing the channel it set the water on fire. The water below flickered in every shade of red and orange imaginable as it reflected the rising sun. It was beautiful.

Although breathtaking, it was extremely cold an I was glad of the oversized jacket I had taken. I pulled it up so that only my eyes were peeking over the top and looked out across the sky and water. In the Distance the cliffs of Dover appeared. Not long after buck decided to put the plane down in a field.

He already had the map out when I climbed down. He was studying it intently as I stopped beside him. "Hey, you know the people who were chasing us? Who were they? Did...Did I do something wrong?"

He stiffened and looked down at me disbelieving me. "No you did'nt do anything wrong! The people who had you are an organization called HYDRA. They're basically an old school Nazi terrorist group and they are the source of pretty much every evil thing done all over the world since then. Save for the Alien invasion last year in New York."

Relieved I nodded and mouthed an oh. "Wait, What? Did you say alien invasion?" He just nodded once. "Holy Shit!" He chuckled under his breath. "Well now I have never heard such profanities from a lady." His eyes shone for a moment. As if all the badness and confusion his life entails disappeared for a moment.

I looked up at him, marvelling at the momentary joy, he looked so much younger. He looked free. "Well I guess I must'nt be much of a Lady." His smile grew, and my heart swelled.