Chapter 5: Who Killed The Staceys?

I didn’t go to school the next day. The Stacey’s didn’t know that, not even Clarissa. I couldn’t face Sebastian but I also knew I couldn’t stay in this house all day with Clarissa and Mrs. Stacey. Not after what happened yesterday. Instead I had grabbed the backpack I used for school and left. Instead of waiting for Sebastian I started to wander. I guess you could call it getting lost because I didn’t know where anything was in this town. Out of luck I was able to find a pretty empty park. I made my way over to the swings and took a seat on one. Now I was swinging lightly with my eyes closed trying to think of what to do.  

I knew one thing for certain, I wasn’t going to let Mrs. Stacey get away with what she did to Clarissa. I wasn’t going to let the Stacey’s’ get away with all the stuff they did. Clarissa and I are basically their bitches. It wasn’t fair. I was surprised they haven’t gotten fat because they don’t do anything remotely energetic. Ok I guess I couldn’t say that about Harper. She did get drunk at any chance she got. There have been numerous times she’s has woken me up in the middle of the night because she was smashed. I’ve cleaned up so much vomit that I can’t even keep track. I shuddered at the thought.

I wish there was a simple answer to this problem. It was starting to give me a headache so I opened my eyes and stared at the clouds. It’s like the rest of the world was blocked out. There was just the swing, the wind and I. My eyes zoomed into the sky like a camera. The puffy white clouds swirled around in the sky and started to shape into different items. Animals, cars and other objects. It was nice and peaceful. The sky started to rotate and I could see a faint moon. It stood in one place as the rest of the sky, along with the clouds, continued to rotate.  My peace was sadly interrupted by who else but Sebastian. I looked over at him and sighed. I didn’t want to get into the whole rejection conversation.

“Listen Sebastian if this is about yesterday I’m sorry I ran off. It’s just I knew that the whole kiss thing was a mistake and that-“

“Mistake? You really thought the kiss was a mistake?” he asked in disbelief.

“Well yeah you told me to leave so suddenly and it just-“I tried but was interrupted once again when he smashed his lips against mine. My eyes widened in surprise and I didn’t kiss back. I was so shocked. Finally we, well he, pulled away. I was breathing heavy and so was he.

”When you didn’t come today I thought you were avoiding me because of the kiss. I thought . . . I thought you didn’t feel the same way.” He shrugged.

 I didn’t say anything for a while and it was really awkward. I kept avoiding his eyes and trying to think. He gave me a nervous smile and then I realized I was giving the impression that I didn’t feel the same. I rose from the swing and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Does that answer your question?” I asked with a grin.

******

The next few weeks were a blur. If I wasn’t in school I was out with Sebastian doing crazy things. It also helped that since I haven’t been alive for long so I’ve never done anything. The simplest things made me happy. We’ve been to the movies, driven to strange places to look at the scenery and out to fast food places (all the Stacey’s ate was tofu and veggies). Right now we were at a pond. I was laying down with my head on his lap as he told me stories about his life as a clone. I was very shocked to know that Sebastian’s humans were so nice to him. He was basically part of the family.

“You’re so lucky.” I commented.

“What do you mean?” he chuckled.

“Your humans treat you like part of the family. It’s nice.” I stated with the tiniest bit of envy. That made me think of Clarissa and I frowned. I’d been avoiding her since that day I saw her get well you know.