Chapter 2: First Day of Hell

Beep. . .beep. . .beep. . .beep!

What the hell was that annoying sound? I opened my eyes and squinted. The morning light streamed through the room like streaks of gold paint. I looked over at Harper who was beginning to stir. She pulled her pillow over her head and groaned.

"Are you deaf Tatum? Turn the fucking alarm off and get up," she grumbled with attitude. 

"Why do I have to get up?" I asked ignoring the beep of the alarm.

"You can't be late for your first class." she explained.

"Huh?" 

She rolled her eyes and sat up. Then she reached over and pressed a button on the alarm to make it stop beeping.

"Remember I'm in college." Harper explained as if I was a five year old.

I mean last time I checked I thought she was in college. Damn these humans are so freakin lazy. Do they ever do anything for themselves?

"So you expect me to go for you?" I questioned.

"Well duh. That's what I have a clone for; to do stuff I don't feel like doing." she snapped.

"But I-" I tried.

"No buts. Get ready classes start at 8:30." Harper stated.

I sighed as I rose out of bed. I made my way to the little drawer of clothes that the Staceys had prepared for me. It was full of dull, lifeless colors. There was only dark grey, navy blue and black shirts. The only colored pants were khaki or black with the occasional pair of jeans.  I picked a gray t-shirt and some jeans. Then I slipped on some socks and the same pair of black and white converse I was given yesterday at the lab. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and walked over to Harper's bed expectantly.

"What?" she asked as she looked up at me.

"Well for one thing I don't know where your college is or what else I need to bring." I replied in a syrupy sweet voice with the fakest smile on earth.

Harper glared at me. "I set up for my neighbor's clone to take you. My neighbor and I go to the same college. He makes his clone go too. Anyway there's a bookbag in the corner over there," she pointed to a spot near her closet. It seemed to be buried in clothes. Big shock. "It has all the stuff you need. You should leave now. Clyde's clone is probably waiting for you."

I rolled my eyes and stalked over to grab the bag. Then I made my way out the bedroom and ran downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs I saw Clarissa dusting some shelves. When she heard me she turned around and smiled.

"Morning Tatum," she smiled.

I gave her a smirk. "How did you know it was me?"

"Well for one thing Harper doesn't dress like that or smile at me." she grinned. "Also I can see your mark."

"Huh? My mark?" I said confused.

"Yeah your mark," Clarissa explained. "Every clone has them so they can be told apart from their human. It's on the back of every clones right ear."

I reached to touch the back of my right ear. The skin was smooth.

"I don't feel anything. . ." 

"You can't feel it but you can see it," she paused and dug in her pocket for something. That something turned out to be a mirror. "Here take a look."

I took the mirror and examined the back of my right ear. Clarissa was right. There was a black infinity-looking tattoo there. Wow how did I not see that before? I shivered.