48

Confession Time! Today's topic: my school life up until now.

Junior Kindergarten:
This year was a struggle for me but I didn't know how hard school would be.

Heck! I didn't even know English so others probably thought I was either stupid or mute. I just stared at everyone and everything in my sight.

I was a loner for quite a while. I would sit in a corner, struggling to read an English book about animals for kids when other kids read with a group of friends. I painted by myself when I got bored. Others chased each other with paint on their hands. I would watch others play together during recess. I ate lunch with my mom because she would come to school and bring me my lunch. That was when i feel happy in school. But it was always an hour before she has to go. Laughter was everywhere but I was like a spirit drifting through the hallways. My one wish was to have a friend. I didn't care if he/she is white or black, disabled or not. I just wanted someone who understands me.

My penny-in-the-fountain wish was granted when a boy walked through the doors a few days after the start of school. He instantly plops onto the beanbag beside me and introduced himself in broken English. We both smiled and were inseperable. We are, played, napped, painted and read together. I finally had someone to look forward to meeting at school.

I suddenly started going to another school half of the day because 'she is slow in English. This program will help'. My friend learns of my placement and begs to come with me. Next thing I know, we go to the English program every day.

Then another boy came along and joined us. Two became three and we stayed that way for a bit. The boy was also slow in English so he joined us. Every other kid stares at us and snorts. "How is it possible for boys to be friends with a girl." But we didn't care. When the end of the school year came, we learned that we all live near each other. We would cross each other during the summer and say hi. That was just what I needed.

Senior Kindergarten:
Apparently, both boys started liking me as more than a friend. I still remember a conversation...

Boy 1 (my first friend) : You're so cute I love you. One day, I'll even marry you.
Boy 2: No! I will.
Boy 1: I will.
(It went that way for a while)
Boy 2: I will knock on her door and ask her parents when we grow older.
Boy 1: Ha! She will be married to me so you won't see her.
Both: Let's see about that. Who do you like more?
Me: Uhhh...I don't know.
Both: She likes me better.

Grade 1:
I didn't have to go to that stupid English program anymore so I felt free. Until homework was introduced to us. Both my friends sat beside me because they "wanted to be with me forever and make it fair".

We helped each other with homework because the three of us were very slow. I was the best in math and art. My first friend was good at...uh...fooling around so I'll say drama. And my second friend was a genius when it came to English only.

Grade 2:
Friend #2 left and it was the start of the end. Friend #1 started believing the "boys can't be friends with girls" so our brief friendship slowly went down.

Grade 3:
Our friendship ended when he became popular. Even though he told me this: if anything happens, you will still be my friend. I will remember you.

That was when I learned two things: Don't promise people anything because anything could happen. Nothing lasts forever.

So...I went back to being the staring loner.

Grade 4:
I got into another English program but by the irony. The program was for "kids excelling in English."

I would always find a way to avoid people. I would help teachers to avoid going out for recess, act sick to go back home and all that.