Day 15: Kane and Will

We've been in the arena for more than 2 weeks, and I'm more than raring to get the hell out. To top it all off, I'm pretty sure a small cut on Autumn's leg is infected. And the only medicinal supplies we have are plants and herbs, which don't really work as cures. I know we need real Capitol medicine to stop the infection from spreading and getting worse, and that will be hard enough to get, if not impossible. I'm sensing a feast coming on soon. 

"Kane," Autumn whispers from the top branch. We've made sure to only communicate almost silently now that we're at the edge of the forest and the Careers are finally back, this time missing the boy from 4 who died a few days ago. So that means only the District 1 girl, both from 2, and Birch from 11. "My leg's throbbing." 

I sigh. "That's not a good sign..." 

"Tell me about it." she groans back.

"From now on," I adopt a strict tone, "You are not leaving this tree. I'll do all the work down here."

"What? Why?" she objects. "I can still walk, you know."

"Yes, yes I realise that. But do you think you can still run faster than any of the Careers? You don't even have size to your advantage." I can hear her try to butt in, "Even the fact you're small won't help. Look at Wolf."

"Hey," she complains. "Wolf's nice. I'd be dead already if it weren't for him."

I raise an eyebrow, even though she can't see me. "Oh really?" 

"Yes. He covered for me when he spotted me up a tree not far from here." she makes a half-sigh, half-gasp noise. "That feels like a lifetime ago."

I change the subject, a thought suddenly pushing into my mind. "Do you think one of us could actually win this now?"

"Excuse me?"

"There's ten of us left, Autumn, and deaths seem to be getting more and more frequent. Maybe one of us could outlast the others without having to kill."

She appears to consider this. "I suppose..." she draws out her words, "If whatever stupid infection I have isn't too bad."

"You're strong Autumn. Now, me? I might not be strong myself, but I'm not stupid. Maybe my wits can help me out of here."

"Maybe, Kane." Autumn whispers, now sleepily. "Maybe." she yawns. "But really, now? It's anyone's game."

________________________________________________________________________________

My breathing has grown wheezy and I sneeze more than I should now. I know I've contracted some kind of...illness. I run 2 fingers over my snakebite, and damn myself for not being careful enough. I'm certain that the stupid blue-purple reptile has given me a disease. Most likely a deadly one. And if it is, it seems to be a slow killer. And slow killers are usually painful. Let's just say I'm bracing myself. I haven't left my clearing in the wheat field, feasting on what I would probably call makeshift dry cereal. No one has disturbed me, so no wonder I'm in the top 10. I would have thought Gamemakers would force me into the action at some point, but apparently they've been satisfied with what they've got. If it comes to distance-fighting, or even hand-to-hand combat, I stand no chance against knife-girl from 2, 9-in-training District 11 or Miss Spears from 4. Maybe not even the kid from 2, or buff boy from 11. Or any of them, really.

I feel a horrible lonely sensation in the Games. Of course I don't really enjoy social interaction but complete isolation is driving me mental. It's probably just the Games. But, the thing is, I'm still glad I opted not to join the Careers. I haven't seen any of them - or any other tribute - since the Games started, but nonetheless I can imagine knife-girl's ruthlessness and know by instinct not to tangle with her. 

On one hand, I suspect a feast might come up soon. Being as I'm ill and the other tributes probably want or need something, I'm still debating whether to go or not if there is one. I'll probably just stay put and stick it out whilst other people get themselves killed trying to retrieve their items. I don't want to risk going out into the open, someone seeing where I'm hiding, or facing another tribute when I'm already weakened. I wonder what Apple would want me to do. Make a dash for it and push my luck? Play safe? Take out a few opponents? For a minute, I almost wish I had an ally to consult. 

But, ominously, the decision is fully my own and whatever choice I make I have to live with, be it fatal or be it not.