District 6 Train Journey: Stella and Will

We don't talk much over dinner. Our mentor, Apple, isn't here yet, Will's eating so quick that I think he'll be sick, and our escort, Clary, decides on a lighter meal and finishes earlier. 

I'm just sitting there, ignoring the others and pushing my food around with a fork. 

Suddenly there's a long piece of wood flying at me and I dive away from the chair and out of range. I cling to my fork and send it flying in the direction the attack came. 

There's a noise of the points lodging in the siding and a clatter of the stick falling onto the floor.

"Not bad," Apple's voice says, her boots and legs the only thing I can see from where I am, splayed on the floor. "Almost got me; quick thinking."

Will has stopped eating. "So this is how you're going to be training us? Different."

"Gotta stay sharp. In my Games, most of the deaths were due to surprise attack. I managed to keep alert, evade and kill."

Will nods approvingly and stands up. Clary is tugging on the fork, trying to prize it from the wall. 

"Good arm...Stella, is it?" Apple comments.

I nod.

"You're promising."

Will shoots a look at me before leaving the room, "I'm gonna take a shower," he mutters, then doubles back, "And don't even think about ambushing me with things in there."

I laugh and Apple replies, "Don't count on it."

____________________________________________________________________________

I go to bed irritated. Apple's 'training technique' has been annoying me all day. Throwing things at us, randomly lashing out at us. But Stella's enjoyed it, I think. I know one thing; Apple hates me, and she loves Stella.

I'm not much of a people person, but usually only because I don't like getting attached to people that could die any second. I mean, I could die any second when I get into those Games. I'm dreading it, but I believe the key to winning is not to trust. If you start to trust someone, anyone with emotions would hurt to betray them. So I'm playing this alone. I'm fast, so that's an advantage. I'm hard to catch. But I like to use knives. To cut things. I suppose I'd make a good Career, and if I show them I'm good...I can get in with them. But no, I'm not going to trust them. The Career pack is just for strength, because nothing good can ever come of trust, not in the Games. Of course, I'm not in one of the Career Districts, but if I'm of any value, will they really just throw me aside?

Maybe. But I'm going to show off what I can and work to my full potential whatever Apple says. I turn off the light in the crystal chandelier with a remote, and go to sleep thinking about Capitol food, Apple, training, stylists and Stella.