Day 13: Tiberius and Marlou

I'm on midnight watch with Wolf. I'm astounded as to how I got so lucky, when the killing machine Truth Fireheart herself understands that I'd easily defend my best friend over any of the Careers. She probably only let me watch because I can kill. And I suspect she doesn't have a clue about Wolf's good heart and thinks he would be able to take me out if I made a move. 

Anyway, I've decided tonight is the night I leave the Careers. To protect Marlou. Of course she's strong and doesn't paticularly need protection, but I have to know she's alright. Besides, I've decided I have to tell her how I feel. 

"Wolf," I whisper, leaning closer to him from where we're leaning on an uncomfortable outcrop. 

"What?" I hear the response, his voice also lowered.

"I'm leaving tonight." I decide to entrust him. He's only 13 and I've come to be somewhat friends with him, even if we're on opposite ends of the age spectrum. 

His eyes flash briefly. "What about Truth?"

"What about her?" I scoff lightheartedly. "She's good, but..." I swallow. "When you love someone as much as I do, you'd do anything to protect them. Even fight your sister. Even die."

Wolf looks confused. "Love? What does love have to do with-" He cuts himself off contemplating aloud, instead creating realisation. "You love her. Your District partner."

"I do, Wolf." I tell him, staring at him as my lips curve into a rueful smile. "And she has to know. I have to be with her. I have to make sure she wins."

For a minute all I can see are the cameras focused on our conversation, the Capitol citizens speechless, my family at home also either shocked into silence or tears. Marlou's father and grandmother sighing. I can see Mags' sad lips now, "Who knew?"

Wolf blinks, possibly offended that I just indirectly said he should die. Then he recovers. "I guess. I'll  tell Truth that you went to pee in the dark and must have gotten lost, okay?"

I laugh, getting to my feet and hoisting my backpack higher. "That makes me sound stupid," I say. "But whatever goes to help Marlou." 

Wolf grins cheekily. "Tell her I said hi."

"Sure thing, kid." 

_______________________________________________________________________

I roll over in my sleeping bag, fading blearily into conciousness. The sunlight tells me it's way past time to get up. Camelia isn't in her usual spot cuddled up next to me, but she's most likely just gone to hunt or pee. She's not completely useless. 

"Morning," a deep, soft voice sings. "Missed me?"

I open my eyes fully and come face to face with Tiberius. Cross-legged and smirking with what I'd guess to be teasing.

I decide to pretend I'm not surprised he's come for me when in all honesty I was sure he'd stick with the Careers until they all disbanded. Unless they already have. I doubt it, because there's been no cannons. Unless I missed them. "Yes." I reply plainly, closing my eyes again.

"Good," he says, somewhat awkwardly. "Wolf says hi, by the way." 

I feel a smile touch my lips. "Sweet."

"Anyway," Tiberius continues, all hint of playing gone and suddenly serious. This makes me open my eyes and sit up. "I came to find you for a reason." 

I raise an eyebrow, beginning to fold up my sleeping bag. "Did you now?"

"I want to protect you. I want you to win."