District 4 Post-Reaping: Marlou and Tiberius

"Good luck Marlou." my father whispers, brushing my fringe out of my face. "You can win this. You have victor's blood."

It's true. I believe I can win. I volunteered for a 12 year old for 2 reasons. I want to show off my skills, and I still have an ounce of humanity left, unlike most bloodthirsty Careers. I do have victor's blood, for my Grandmother Mags was a victor of the 9th Hunger Games when she was in her prime. 

I nod. "I'll try my best, Dad." 

He's acting like my victory will be a granted...but I know I'll have to work for it. I'm not the only Career, and definitely not the strongest. 

I can't wait to meet all the other tributes so I can see what I'm up against. But for now, I'll just have to fashion the outlines of a game plan with my mentor, who is convieniently my Grandmother. I know she'll be determined not to let me die in there.

My Dad leaves, nodding to his fellow Peacekeepers on the way out. One of them pats his back as if to say, "I hope your daughter comes back alive."

My Dad's a well-respected Peacekeeper and friends with almost everyone. I'm lucky in that respect, because I'm guessing my District will want to help me out. 

The other tribute from 4, Tiberius, is my best friend, to my dismay. I was hoping for someone I wouldn't be too sad to see die, but losing Tiberius would be like losing a leg. Either of those things are very likely to happen in the arena, but I have to hope my victor's blood will give me an advantage. My token is a small, rough pebble. From the beach. It carries the smell of salt and minerals, which remind me of home. I suppose it's handy for salt deficiency, too. If it comes to it, I can lick it. I'd rather not, but the Hunger Games can drive people crazy. _____________________________________________________________________________

My mother has just been ushered away by Peacekeepers, and I sit and spin my brother's lucky fishhook. Yeah, 'lucky'. I hope it is.

Nonetheless, I hope it's lucky for Marlou more than me. I don't know how I'd live without her. I love her, and I have done for ages, even though I've always been too nervous to tell her. It wouldn't do much good to tell her now, though, when either 1 or neither of us will survive to see next month.

I go to the window and look out of it to the sea. It's calming, lapping gently against the pebbly ocean.  When I block out everything else, it almost seems as if it's not Reaping day, and I haven't been chosen to be in the Hunger Games and will probably get killed.

I have an advantage though. I've decided I'll join the Careers so I can live as long as possible. Whether Marlou will or not, I don't know. But I know that I'm going to protect her in any way morally possible. I'll have to live with regret forever if she dies in vain. My mentor is a young man, about 20, called Snap. He won The 46th Hunger Games a few years back, so he's still fresh in the Victor's Village. I've spoken to him a few times. He's not arrogant, like most Careers, but sometimes he can be condescending without meaning to, or act like he knows it all. I'm still glad to have a mentor like him, not insane, violent, difficult or careless. 

I slip the sharp end of the fishhook onto the left side of my shirt, above my heart. I sigh and step away from the window.

"Tiberius Oceans and Marlou Elmswood!" the excitable voice of our escort Niklaus calls, "The train has arrived!"