Training: Autumn and Birch

I sigh resignedly as I watch the girl from 2 pierce dead centre of the target with her knives once, twice, three times...then I walk away, even more terrified than I had been on reaping. How old is she? Like, 17 or 18? Fat chance I have if I ever meet her in the arena...I make a mental note to evade getting even within earshot or peripheral vision of her. She's a fast, trained distance killer. And when I say killer, I don't mean it lightly.

I then watch quietly in interest as the boy from 6 focuses on the edible plants station. His advantage will be knowledge; I'm not going to underestimate him. 

Engrossed in watching 6, I jump into the air on the verge of a heart attack as I hear a thud by my side and see a young boy standing there, smiling. He's barely less than a head shorter, but still probably way more skilled than me. 

"You okay?" he asks. I nod. 

"Yes, I'm-I'm fine,"

"You've seen my sister, I take it." he adds, making an effort to converse. He spins around and points, so I follow his finger to the killing machine from 2.

"You're from 2?" I can't help the words coming from my mouth, "Sorry..." I add sheepishly.

"No, it's okay." he dismisses my uncouth words, "I know I don't seem like the usual District 2, 18 year old, all brawn-no brain tribute. But I volunteered for my best friend, and I have a determination, you know. Plus," he yanks a knife from a rack beside him and slings it in the direction of a target, where it sticks, almost dead centre. "A year's worth of training's done me justice." he smirks at me, "Good luck eleven." he's sauntering over to his sister when I open my mouth again.

"Thanks," I start, then hesitate before asking, "What's your name?"

He slowly turns back to face me and raises his eyebrows, "Wolf. Wolf Fireheart."

Then he walks off again, leaving me in amazement of how a 13 year old could be such a charmer.

I hoist a spear, determined to get my bearings back so I don't seem flustered.  

I use my well-built arm muscles and throw it, where it hits dead centre. 

I'm shocked and pleased, but I know it's a lucky shot. I look over to the Careers, who, this year, seem to be made up of both from 1, both from 2, the boy from 4 - and to my utter surprise - Birch from my District. I wonder where the 4 girl is, but the first thing I notice is not her abscence, but the almost approving, slightly jealous looks they're wearing...except from the blonde girl. She looks like she might be sick.

I decide that I'm going to work on the spear for a bit; maybe if I can get it right, I'll be able to defend myself.

_____________________________________________________________________________

 I'm strong and tall, maybe not as well-weathered as any Career, but I must've looked promising enough to score a spot in their pack alliance. I'm not stupid; I'm not going to trust them. But as long as I'm with them, I might stand more of a chance. Of course, the Captiol will love a good show starring the District 11 boy among the Careers.

They decided they'd allow me to team up with them when they'd seen how I could use my upper body muscles; which is pretty spectacularly. I can carry the weight of about 2 average sized 16 years olds on either shoulder, and I can support my entire body using just my arms. I'm handy with a knife, too, up close. 

We - the Careers - are sitting down on one of the mats, just resting. I've decided that when we get back up I'm going to try the edible plants station, something the Careers never usually think to check when they're too busy showing off their skills with weapons. 

"So, Birch-" Truth's voice cuts into my thoughts, "'You're pretty big for someone in one of the poorest Districts."

I shrug and nod, "Yeah. I am. But most of us are. Because we climb trees literally every day in harvest. Even the kids under 12." 

Diamond smiles, "That's admirable." 

I like Diamond; she is District 1, but she's not conceited or ultra-rich. I've learned from her that all she has to her name is a sweet shop, where she speaks to little children almost every day. That must be why she's so gentle. I don't know why she's a Career, because I don't know if she'd be able to even hurt a fly if she had to. 

Silver, her District partner, glances at her. His fleeting expression was too quick to catch, but the look on her face tells me that Truth saw enough. 

I don't like her; she seems to act superior and grouchy. Not exactly a bad way to be in the Games, but nonetheless unlikeable. The only thing that makes her bearable is her fierce instinct to protect her little brother. I can tell that the arena with these guys is going to be living hell, but I'm going to put up a fight.