"I can't go out with him!" Lyra burst out of frustration.
"Why not?" her manager asked. "Do you have a boyfriend?"
Lyra couldn't tell them about Sesshomaru. It would just lead to millions of other questions. "No. I just won't be around long enough for a healthy relationship. I won't even be able to contact him when I'm looking after my grandfather."
"I'm sure he'll understand. You guys can work something out!" another colleague said.
"You've hit the jackpot!" another one squealed.
Lyra sighed again. "One of you date him then."
"He chose you though, Lyra," her manager said. "I've noticed the way he looks at you."
"Come on, Lyra. Be a good sport and get all the gossip. Let us know what he's like on dates," the first colleague said, nudging her shoulder. "You can always say no after tonight."
Lyra huffed in defeat. "I suppose..."
"Great! Time to sort out your outfit!"

She couldn't quite believe what she had gotten herself into. Returning to work was a big mistake.

***

The store closed at 5 so that gave Lyra two hours to get ready. Her colleagues had suggested she wear a cute summer dress with cute little heels and she had no choice but to oblige. When she got back home, she flopped down on the couch. Renji looked over at her and saw the distress on her face.

"What's wrong?" he asked from the dining table.
"I got asked out on a date for 7 tonight."
Renji instantly got up and sat beside her. "Then what's so bad about that? Is the guy not nice?"
"No, he is nice. He's a regular customer of ours," she answered.
"What's his name?"
"Kanda Hideki."
He sat up straight and looked at her, eyes wide. "What did you say?"
Lyra raised a brow at his reaction. "Kanda Hideki." She pulled out the business card she was given and handed it to him.
Renji looked as though he had just won the lottery as he read over the card. "The Kanda Hideki asked you out?!"
"Uhhh...yeah?"
He stood up and pulled her up with him. "What are you waiting for? Go and get ready. I'll drop you off myself," he insisted excitedly as he pushed her towards the stairs.
Lyra felt a bit overwhelmed, unable to get a word in edgeways. "Wait, I have to text him my number but I don't have a phone."
Renji took his own phone out of his pocket and gave it to her along with the business card. "Use mine. I've got another one."
"But-"
"Go!"

Lyra's eyes widened and she decided not to argue back before going up the stairs to get ready. Once she got to her room, she locked the door and sent Kanda a message.

'Hey, it's Lyra. I'm using my dad's phone since my one broke a couple of weeks ago. I'll see you at 7.'

She started to get ready. It would take her only 10 minutes to get to the café so she had about 45 minutes. After simply brushing out her hair to neaten it, she changed into the outfit her friends had chosen before hearing a notification on the phone. She opened the message to see it was from Kanda.

'Hey. I'm looking forward to it.

Kanda.'

She breathed out and noticed it was almost time to go. Not wanting to get there too early, she sat on her bed and waited. She just wished Sesshomaru was there. The feeling of guilt was eating away at her. Even though she would be saying no to another date, just going on this one was making her feel horrible. No matter what, she would tell Sesshomaru about it just so she could get it off her chest.

"Lyra, you're going to be late!" Renji called from the stairs.

She groaned and quickly grabbed her bag and the phone before rushing down the stairs. While her father drove, he kept giving her advice as if she had never been on a date before. She stayed quiet throughout the whole journey. She had nothing to be nervous about but there was an uncomfortable feeling in her stomach and she sussed it out to be the fact she would be saying no to a second date if he asked for it.