Chapter 43

Z a c ' s      P o i n t     o f     V i e w

I watched as Brett took off with Ronnie in his car then immediately grabbed my keys and phone.

After scrolling through my contacts for a couple of seconds, I groaned because I didn't have Harry's number. My mind raced through people that would have it, and then I saw Aiden's name appear on the screen.

Quickly, I dialed his number and started my car.

It rang a couple of times before he finally picked up.

"Why the hell are you calling me at five in the morning on the day of our final game?" He asked in an angry yet sleepy tone.

"Look I know you don't like me -"

He cut me off, "Like you? I hate you."

My eyes fell and I swallowed. I was used to people not liking me, but now wasn't the time for me to be upset over that. I needed to fix things for Veronika. "Listen, Ronnie's in trouble."

It was quiet on the other end for a few seconds. "What kind of trouble?" He finally asked in a doubtful tone.

I sighed as I recited my terrible plan in a fit of jumbled sentences. "I found out who she really is, you know, Veronika Novak, and I was worried she was going to crush my team in the game so I got her ex coach/ex boyfriend who happens to also be an ex murderer, but I didn't know that part I swear, to come here and just keep an eye on her in my basement until the game was over but he just took off with her and I have no idea where they're going. I need you to tell everyone on your team and my team. We have to find them before something bad happens."

Silence followed my statement once again.

"Is this some sick joke of yours again?" Aiden asked in an angry tone.

I shook my head even though I knew he couldn't see. "No, I swear. I don't care about the game anymore, I just want to find Ronnie. It's my fault she's in danger."

"I swear, if you're lying to me..." he began, but didn't finish. "I'm going to call people now, starting with your team members."

"Thank you, Aiden." I replied, grateful he actually listened to me. "And I'm sorry about all the shit I've done to you."

The phone clicked after that with no response, which I deserved.

My foot pushed harder against the gas pedal, trying to catch up to Ronnie and Brett. I had lost track of where they went, but I sort of knew the general location.

After a few minutes of driving aimlessly around, I realized I was just wasting time. Even if I did find them there wasn't much I was going to be able to do. Brett was a big dude. 

The brakes quickly came to a halt and I spun around, driving towards the police station.

When I arrived, I ran inside and was surprised to see Harry standing there, shouting at the cops.

"I'm telling you, she's missing!" He shouted. "She left all of her things at the rink and just disappeared!"

The cop at the front desk ran a hand over his forehead. He looked extremely tired. "I told you, kid. We can't get a whole squad out there looking for someone who we're not even sure is missing yet. Her parents want to wait a few more hours to give her a chance to show up since she's got a history of running when things get too difficult."

Harry threw his hands in the air. "Useless! You guys are useless!"

I stepped forward, finally making my presence known. "I think I can help."

Harry whipped around and once his eyes landed on mine his hands rolled into fists and he took a large step towards me, grabbing my shirt. "You had something to do with this, didn't you?"

I frowned. "Clearly Aiden hasn't called you yet."

I then explained what happened to him and the cop and suddenly that got things moving along.

Some cops were running background checks on Brett while others were holding Harry back from pounding my face in.

"I'm going to make your face unrecognizable once they let me go!" He shouted, still fighting against the cops holding him back.

One of the cops raised his voice, "Calm down or we're going to have no choice but to arrest you!"

I raised my eyes. "You can't help Ronnie from behind cell bars, Harry. I promise you can smack the crap out of me later, right now just focus on saving Ronnie."

He glared at me but stopped fighting and calmed down. "Fine."

"We found him. His name is Brettaski Dvoynev, better known as Brett Dawson. He's got some charges for a couple of bar fights, but nothing too serious on his record. However, when you look him up there's all sorts of scandals for his fowl play on the rink and some rumors about him being a potential murderer." A cop stated, walking out of an office.

Harry's eyes grew wide. "What can we do to get him?"

The cop turned to him. "You can stay here, we've got a few men headed out now to look for him and your friend."

"Girlfriend." Harry corrected. "And bullshit, I'm not staying here doing nothing. I'm going to look for her too."

The cop at the desk stood up. "Why don't you two stay and watch me try to track this Brett's phone? Or maybe give this girl's parents a call and fill them in?" 

I shot Harry a look and nodded. "Let them do their job, Harry. You haven't seen Brett before...the guy is massive and dangerous. You can't fight him alone."

He bit his lip, "I'm at least going to try."

With that last remark, he stormed out of the building and began on his search for Ronnie.

After calling Veronika's parents, the cop at the front desk went away typing all sorts of junk into a computer.

Apparently he was going to track Brett's phone with the number I had from him.

It felt like hours before the cop finally spoke again. He spoke into a device and gave an address. 

An address that I copied and sent to Harry within seconds. Maybe it was a bad idea because there was no way in hell Harry would be able to take on Brett alone, but Ronnie was also there and the two of them together made a pretty strong team, so it was worth a shot.

______________________________________________

woah chapter from zac's pov :O

hope it was okay?! this story is getting closer and closer to being done and i'm v excited/sad!

Questions

1. Were you expecting a chapter from Zac's point of view?

2. Have your feelings towards Zac changed at all now?

3. Have any predictions for next chapter?

as always, thank you all so much for reading!!