Welcome Home

That morning when I got to school, I didn’t need a mirror to know that my hair was a mess. I could barley keep my eyes open and I couldn’t think strait. To put it in simpler terms, I felt like something my cat dragged in.

“Wow Nickkie, really?” Jenny looked at me. I looked back at her.

“I know. I feel like I got hit by a bus” I said as I closed my locker. “I couldn’t sleep last night. I kept have nightmares about you-know-what”. I explained.

“It must’ve been one sick dream” she assumed.

“You don’t know the half of it. It was graduation and when they were calling out what schools everyone was going to, the principle just handed me a diploma with a huge ring on it. When I turned to look at the audience they were all wearing dresses and tuxes. I looked back up to the principle and there was Leo looking at me and all he said ‘I may now kiss the bride’” I said shuddering. I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to erase the image.

“One can only hope that this is as much torture for him as it is for me” I said combing the knots out of my hair. Just then, I saw Leo walking with Kat down the hallway with his arm around her shoulder. She gave me her daily dirty look and he looked at me. He winked at me and I looked away. They stopped in front of us.

“Wow, Nicole you look you came to school on a hurricane” she said with a sneer.

“Thanks, it’s a new look I’m trying out” I said sarcastically. I may be forced to marry her boyfriend, but there was NO way I was going to let her get the best of me. “You know Kathrine I really admire how you don’t care how you look. Letting that mustache of yours grow out is so empowering.” I said being snarky. I saw Leo try to stifle a snicker. Kathrine looked uneasy and walked away. He followed after her and looked back at me casually. It was definitely the wrong day to press my buttons.

“Something tells me he might be handling this a little better than you are” Jenny pointed out.

“No dip Sherlock” I said laughing. Jenny did the same.

“How long before you’re confined to the condo” she asked me.

“Not that I’m looking forward to it, but it happens this Friday.” I cringed.

“What are you doing about, you know, sleeping arrangements?” Jenny asked. I blushed a little. That was a good question. I didn’t answer. I didn't want to think about it. I was litterally going to be sleepin with the enemy, or i guess the enemy's boyfriend. I just started on my way to English class. “I’ll text you later” I said leaving.

The day had come. The day that I moved in with Leo. I had to admit I had always imagined my first independent move to be when I was in college, but life goes on. Granted, this sucked like really thick milkshake, but what could I do? I was bounded to this guy because my grandfather had screwed me over before I was born.

“Home sweet home” Leo said standing next to me with suitcases. He looked at me and I grabbed my things as proceeded towards our new home. When I opened the door of our condo and I wasn’t half bad. It really was a place I could get used to. The butter pecan color on the wall made it look like warm. “Wanna check out the bedroom?” Leo asked slyly. I broke my silence and stepped away from him like a scared bunny.

“I’ll have the to pass.” I said not wanting to show how flustered he really made me. I looked square in the face and asked “Why are you acting so casual about this” “Last week you were just upset about this as I am.”He didn’t say anything. “You know what” I said to him. “I think you’re happy about this” he looked at me like I was crazy.

“You think I’m happy about having my free will to marry who I want taken away from me” he asked back.

“Well you haven’t given me any other emotion. What else am I supposed to think?” I retaliated. “Or are you just trying to make sure that the door is wide open for Kathrine?” I asked him.