Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say

It was only five days until my birthday and I wasn't sure what do for it. Should I have a party? Maybe just dinner with my family? These thoughts and more ran through my mind as I walked through the hallways of school. I was so buried in my own thoughts that I didn't notice anything around me so it was kind of embarrassing when I ran into someone and dropped my books and papers all over the floor.

"Oh I am so sorry" I said frantically. I scrambled to get my things before I could make any more of a spectacle of my self than I already had. I reached for paper and books as quickly as I could when I felt a hand on mine as I reached for my science book. I looked up and noticed that it was attached to my friend Ben.

"It's Okay. Don't worry about it" he assured me. Ben helped me pick up the rest of my things and he smiled at me. I took my hand back

"Thanks Ben" I told him.

"No Problem. You should just make sure you watch where you are going" he joked with me. I let out a small chuckle. "Where are you heading" he asked me.

"I'm on my way to Science class" I told him.

"Aren't you going a little early? Class doesn't start for another 10 minuets" he stated.

"I know but I spent so much time on this report, I'm tired of looking at it" I said to him. He laughed with me.

"Well, we're going to the same place, so I might as well walk with you to class" he reasoned. I nodded and we started on our way towards class. "So what are you doing for your birthday? It's got to be better than last year when we went to go see the movie 'Fame'". He said nudging me.

"Hey you liked that movie. I even saw you tearing up during the scene in the subway" I argued. He looked down at me and gave me a "shut your mouth about that" look, but I couldn't help but smile at his expression.

"I didn't get teary" he argued. "I was eating Red Hots and my eyes started watering" he said trying to convince me. Of course I didn't believe him. Truth is, I liked these kinds of talks with Ben. I had known him since we were kids, and in that time, we had become good friends. When we were 16, he stayed up all night on the phone with me to study for my drivers test. When his parents got divorced, he and I practically lived at "Coldstone" and "Blockbuster". These thoughts coursed through my head as Ben and I walked to our class room.

Leo's P.O.V

I knew it was only 5 days until Nikkie's Birthday. I wasn't sure if I should get something for her. The two of us had been secretly living together for about three weeks. It was only right for me to get her something. Last time I checked they didn't exactly make a "Happy birthday from your arranged fiancé", I thought to myself. These things and more were running through my mind, when I heard something. I looked from around a corner and saw Nikkie had dropped her books. Even in the morning, she was still her clumsy self. I saw her as she tried to pick up her things. I noticed that Ben was helping her with her stuff. Ben has always been a good guy. Then I saw the two of them laughing together.

"What's so funny" I asked my self. I saw the two of them walk off together still laughing. I noticed that the two of them were walking kind of close. "So she has a boyfriend" I suspected as I watched after them.

"What are you doing" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned and saw my best friend PJ. "Is there a reason why you are spying on Ben and that girl he's with" he asked me.

"That's Nikkie" I told him.

"Oh so you got your eyes on another woman" he asked me slyly. "It's just as well, I mean Kat can be... Interesting and all but..." he didn't finish.

"No I'm not breaking up with Kat" I explained interrupting him

"Then what does she mean to you?' he asked me. I hesitated and looked around.

"Come with me" I told him. He followed me into the locker room and I made sure that no body was around before I told him my secret. "Nikkie and I are engaged" I whispered.

"What" he mouthed with wide eyes. "Dude, you're 18 and you're already engaged?" he asked. "Couldn't you wait until after we went to college or something? Think of all those lonely college ladies on campus that'll be looking for somebody to keep them company" PJ said with a raised eyebrow. I didn't answer to that. "On the other hand, you sir, are guaranteed fine lady after graduation" he added.

"It's not like that man. She's pretty cool when she wants to be" I told him.

"So now you like the idea of being with this girl" he asked me.

"It wasn't even my idea. It was something that we kind of fell into because of our grandparents" I explained.

"How long have you been...You know" he asked.

"About three weeks" I told him.

"You didn't tell me" he asked pretending to be hurt. I rolled my eyes,

"Well it isn't exactly something that I'm trying to advertise" I told him. "We've been living together for a couple weeks and..." I said before I was cut off

"Wow man, you're in it deep" he commented. "If Kat finds out, you're a dead man"

"Yeah you're telling me" I said to him "Anyway, I have to figure out what to get her for her birthday" I told him.

"Hold up. You're buying this girl gifts now" he asked. "Are you sure that you and her don't have a thing or something" he looked at me.

"What? No of course not." I said defensively. "We just want to make the best of a bad situation" I told him

"Sure. All I'm saying is I never seen you watch Kat's every move like you did Nikkie's a few minuets ago" he said. 

-End POV-

It was later that night at the condo and Jenny had come over since Leo was working on his car with his dad and PJ.

"You know he likes you right" Jenna blurted out of nowhere. I looked up at her from my pizza.

"Who" I asked. Jenny rolled her eyes.

"Ben" she declared. "He's totally into you and has been for the longest time" I stared at her without a word. "How clueless can you be" she asked like she was frustrated.

"That's ridiculous" I told her laughing a little

"Is it" she asked me. "Come on Nick, you're going to tell me that in all the time we've known Ben, you haven't noticed"

"I really don't think that there is anything to notice Jen" I told her as I laughed.

"You're not just pretending not to notice so you can keep a door open for Leo, are you" she asked me suspiciously. My face went hot and I didn't want my eyes to tell something, I didn't want out there. Jenny was my best friend after all so she it was like she could read my face.

"I'm not pretending for anything or anyone" I insisted.

"Nickkie, half the biology class can tell that he likes you even the stoners who sit in the back of the class" she told me.

"What? That's crazy. The stoners in the back of the class also thought that the tree outside the classroom window was on fire" I pointed out.

"Yeah that's true, but it doesn't take a genius to tell that he has feelings for you" she argued.

"Ben is a nice guy and that's all. Don't be silly about it" I told her.

"I'm just saying" Jenny told me as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Ben doesn't like me" I thought to myself.