Center Stage

It had been about two weeks since the falling out with Ben. He hadn't spoken to me in that time and I didn't expect him to. I really hurt him and it was killing me. When I passed him in the hallway, he wouldn't look at me. I had to go on with unanswered texts and phone calls. I missed my friend, but when he was ready to talk about it, he would come back. I knew Ben better than that. Somehow in all the turmoil, Jenny had convinced me to try out for the school play. We were putting on Cinderella. I don't know how I ever let her get me to do it. The whole idea of a bunch of high schoolers doing this play seemed a little elementary to me, but I think our director put some sort of 60's twist on it. Anyway, Jenny and I were on our way out the door after rehearsal.

"You did well today" she complimented me.

"Thanks, but I don't get how you practically twisted my arm to try out and you only signed up to be stage manager" I pointed out.

"I figured that this would get you out of your funk about Ben" she smiled. I had to admit it; it did kind of take my mind off it. "I mean sure your romantic opposite it Eugene, but he's not all bad" she said trying to justify it. Eugene was notorious for smelling of cough syrup and Dayquil. I mean nowadays, being a nerd can be kind of sexy. Eugene: not so much. 

"How did I get stuck with this guy anyway" I asked her

"Well no other guys tried out and those who are involved in the play are all stage hands" Jenn told me. I let out a big sigh.

"I'm going to have to sanitize my self when this is all over" I said jokingly. Kathrine got the role of my evil stepmother and I don't think she could have been cast any more perfectly. The only problem is she plays it a little too well. She loved being able to give me orders and be the boss of me for most of the play. Between her and Eugene I would have been happy with costume design.

"Did Leo tell you that he was one of my stage hands" Jenny asked me.

"No, he didn't tell me" I answered

"Yeah, it's part of his last few weeks of detention" Jenny explained. "How could you not notice until now" she wondered.

"It's not my fault. Eugene kept distracting me with his inhaler and I'm not sure, but I think Kathrine has been loading up laundry bags she gives me in act 1"

It was the next day in rehearsal and Eugene and I were practicing the last scene. The bright lights were blinding and were hot. I didn't let it get to me though. I was too busy trying not to let Eugene get too comfortable with practically shoving his tongue down my throat. Although the thought of him getting that close to me was revolting, I had to commit to my role. Once I start something I have to finish it.

"Okay everyone, take a brake" we heard Mrs. Dillard shout as the lights came up. I looked out at the empty seats and saw Kathrine sitting on Leo's lap and playing with his hair. It was sickening. I went to the back to see Jenny who was taking inventory.

"Did you see Kathrine all over Leo like that" I asked her angrily.

"What's the big deal? She's always like that" Jenny answered me with a "duh" tone in her voice.

"Yeah, but still we supposed to be rehearsing for this play that opens in a few weeks and she's all over mmm...her boyfriend" I said. I know what I almost said. I just hoped that Jenny hadn't heard what I almost said. "Besides, if Leo is one of your stage hands, shouldn't he be back here helping you" I asked hoping that she wouldn't notice what almost slipped out of my lips a moment before.

"Jealousy is an ugly monster" Jenny said. My eyes grew wide and awed.

"Excuse me? I'm not jealous. Especially not of Kathrine McDowell" I defended.