What's Done in the Dark

It was getting closer to December. I loved this time of year since I was never really a summer person. A month and a half that had passed, I hid my true feelings for Leo from people; even Jenny. I had built up this emotional wall around my self so tall and protective from loving him, my pride just wouldn't let me tell. I wanted to say something but I couldn't find the words. I didn't know which one was worse. Me not knowing how to talk about my feelings, or the fact that Leo was still seeing that shrew Kathrine McDowell.

"Hello? Nickkie, are you in there" I heard Ben's voice which brought me back to reality. Ben and I were in the science lab working on our project. The rest of the class had gone to lunch so we had the room to ourselves.

"Sorry Ben" I said weakly. "I guess I'm a little distracted"

"Anyway, after leaving the white rose in blue water, it took just two days for traces of blue to start showing up." Ben said. He continued to say something but I kind of trailed off when I looked out the window in the door and saw Leo and Kathrine pass by. He gave me a little wave and I waved back.

"Who are you looking at" Ben asked me. I mentally slapped my self and looked up at him.

"I thought I saw someone" I lied. Ben made a discerning face.

"Are you sure you're okay" he asked me. "You've been acting pretty weird lately"

"What do you mean" I asked him as I pretended to write notes.

"Well, you've been hanging around Leo a lot more" he explained. My heart sank a little.

"Oh come on Ben" I said a little nervously. "You probably know him better than I do. You two are on the basketball team together" I defended.

"It's just that if there was something going on between you two, you would tell me right" he asked me. "I care about you Nickkie, and I want to make sure that you are happy" I looked at the seriousness in his eyes. It was as if a storm had been condensed into them. Ben pulled me close and kissed me after that. I felt his lips on mine. I stood there and tried to find myself in all the madness that had happened within the last 20 seconds. I gave Ben a little push off of me. "What's wrong" he asked me confused.

"This. This is wrong Ben" I told him. I had a thousand thoughts running through my mind a mile a minuet. "I shouldn't be doing this with you" I buried my face in my hands hoping that this was all some nightmare. Maybe it would all go away when I pulled them away. When I looked back up, Ben was still there and nothing had changed.

"Why is this wrong? There is something you're not telling me Nick" he told me. I couldn't hide this anymore. Ben was my friend and I didn't want to lose him, but this lie was absolutely killing me. "Because Ben" I hesitated "I'm engaged" I said and looked away.

"Since when" he asked trying to hide any emotion.

"Since October" I said softly. Ben looked away from me and looked back at me.

"October" he asked. "You've been letting me walk around like an idiot since October" he asked getting a little louder this time. I clenched the bottom of my shirt a little.

"I didn't know how to tell you Ben" I said trying to justify hiding the truth.

That doesn't change the fact that you've been lying to me" he said me angrily. "This whole time, you've been sneaking around and keeping me in the dark about things" he practically spat like the words were a disease in his mouth.
I didn't say anything.

"Ben. This isn't exactly something I want to advertise" I said fighting tears. I was ashamed that I had lied to him. I stepped towards him and he stepped away from me.

"No, don't try to make it right" he said shouting at me. "Don't try to justify what you've done" he said to me. "We're supposed to be friends. Best friends Nickkie and you left me out of something like this" I didn't say anything. "Who is he" he asked trying to stifle his anger. I didn't say anything. "WHO IS HE" he shouted at me. I jumped a little.

"Leo Reynolds" I told him. Ben let out a sigh. "But, it was because of our grandparents. They set this whole thing up before we were born" I said practically pleading.

"I don't believe you" he said. "You two have been sneaking around behind everyone's backs" he said disgusted.

"Ben, you have to believe me" I said pleading.

"Why should I" he asked me angrily. "You've lied about everything else".  Ben picked up his books and stormed out of the room. I looked after him as he swung the door open.

"Ben, wait" I shouted after him. "Please, come back" The people in the hall had stopped where they were and watched as he stormed down the hall. I plopped down in my seat and put my head down on my desk. My head was spinning. I looked up and saw people running past the door. I was like watching bolts of colors fly past my eyes. I leaped from my seat to see what that commotion was all about.

"Hey Tammy" I shouted. She turned around to look at me but was jogging in place.

"What's up" she said.

"What's going on" I asked.

"There's a fight in the cafeteria" she said and left the conversation.

"Oh no" I whispered to my self and took off down the hallway. I pushed past people and didn't care who got in my way. I reached the cafeteria and saw Ben and Leo rolling around on the floor. I was horrified at what I was seeing. "Guys, knock it off" I shouted. I don't know what I was thinking by shouting, but it was a reflex. "BENJAMAN" I shouted and the whole room stopped. "Quit it or I'll tell them about Jasmine" he looked me in the eye and stood up.

"You wouldn't" he said.

"Oh yes, I would" I assured him.

"Fine. I'm done with you" he said pointing at me. "I'm done with  all this" he said as Mr. Shue came pushing through the crowd and escorted the two out of the room. I saw the hurt in Ben's eyes as he looked back at me.

Later, I was walking past the detention hall and saw Ben and Leo sitting there like something out of a movie. I walked into the room and looked at Mr. Woods.

"The Principle says he would like to see you in his office. He says that it's kind of urgent" I lied. Mr. Woods looked at me and rose from his desk.

"All right you future criminals, I'll be back. No talking, No texting, No laughing, No enjoying yourself in any way, shape or form" he said in a husky voice. Detention will be over soon so if it's done before I get back, Do whatever. I'll just see you again tomorrow" Mr. Woods said as he left the room.

"Okay you two its time to just put it out there" I told them. I put off this air but deep down I was scared to death what this conversation could lead us. "Leo, Ben knows about the situation" Leo's eyes grew wide. "Don't be mad because I kind of had to tell him" I said to him. "Ben, weather you believe me or not, the whole engagement thing wasn't the idea of either of us." I told him. "I know you're beyond pissed at me right now, but if you ever cared about me like you say you do, then you'll understand when I ask you not to tell anyone". Ben didn't meet my gaze.

"Are you two really gonna keep this game up" he asked me. I threw my arms up. "Don't worry Nick, I won't tell anybody anything, but only for old time's sake. Other than that, I don't owe you anything" Ben picked up his things and walked out the door. I let out a huge sigh and turned towards the black board and pressed my forehead to it. I picked up a piece of chalk.

I wrote the words "I suck" on it.

"No you don't" Leo said. I wrote more.

"It sure feels like it" I wrote.

"He's just mad. He'll come around" he said.

"You sound like such a mom" I wrote back. Leo laughed at me and took my hand.

"So who's Jasmine" he asked me. I looked at him a little confused. In the caff, you said you would tell everyone about a girl named Jasmine. I smiled a little.

"Jasmine from the movie Aladdin". I laughed a little. "Ben once told me that when he was a little kid, he had a HUGE crush on princess Jasmine and had thought that the two of them were destined to be married" I laughed. "But he would kill me if he knew I ever told anyone so don't say a word" I made him promise. He smiled and nodded.