Unhinge

It was a week later and the day before Christmas Break. All week, Kathrine had left a series of unfortunate events for me. I suppose that it was payback for kissing her boyfriend in front of an auditorium of people. Monday: she cut up the gym uniform I had been using that day. Tuesday: she somehow got red paint on the back of my pants in art class. Wednesday: was probably my "favorite". I opened my locker and a huge amount of kiwi jell-o came spilling out of it. To make matters worse, I had to be the one to clean it up. It wasn't all bad though. I got a little revenge when I switched her shampoo with honey in gym class. In all this, one would think that she would at least do something to "Punish" Leo. The fact of the matter was, she was treating Leo like he was the freakin' queen of England. At home, Leo and I kept skating around the big question that I know was on both of our minds: "What happened on that stage" It was like every time one of us had tried to come up with a way to talk about it, the other one had come up with a reason to leave the room, or even the condo all together.

I was out on a walk in my favorite red winter coat and without realizing it, I was in front of Ben's house. It was the front lawn that he, Jenny, and I had laid on when the sky was full of stars. It was the front porch that he and I had sat on when he told me that his parents were calling it quits. I thought of these and other special times like when we decided to ride our bikes down the steepest hill town and I broke my arm. Ben and Jenny made me promise to save them a spot on my cast to sign. I still have a small scar near my elbow. I loved those moments and held them so close to my heart. A small tear ran down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away when my cell phone went off. It was Leo.

"Hey we need to talk" he said to me.

"Yeah, we do" I agreed. "I'm on my way home" I told him. I hung up my phone after that. As I walked home, the bitter cold began to pinch at my nose. I didn't mind it though. I liked this time of year because it's when the weather always had a way of bringing people together. I looked at the sky and noticed that snow was beginning to fall. "I'd better hurry home before it starts to come down even harder" I thought to myself.

I had gotten home and closed the door behind me. I threw my coat, hat and gloves on a nearby chair and still huddled in on myself in an attempt to warm myself. Leo saw me and with no words, he held me close. I looked up at him and he smiled.

"Hi" I said to him

"Hi' he said back to me as I saw that the space in between us was getting smaller. The two of us came to our senses and quickly broke away from each other. "Uh, I think we should talk about what happened last week" he said to me. I knew he was right, but I felt my legs moving and since I was attached to them, I had to go with them.

"You know, how about we talk about this after dinner" I suggested as I started to walk towards the kitchen but I felt his hand around my wrist. He pulled me back to him.

"This can't wait Nikkie" he said with smoldering eyes. "I don't know why, but for some reason you make me feel real. It's like when I'm with you, I feel we're a couple and not just a set that people expect to be together" I blushed a little. "I know that you know what I mean because you only blush like that when I've struck a nerve" he pointed out triumphantly.

"Where is this coming from Leo" I asked breaking his hold on me.

"The same place it has been for weeks, and I know you know what I'm talking about" he said, but I didn't meet his gaze. "That kiss" he said and stopped

"Shhhh! don't say that word" I said frantically. He laughed at me a little. "It was just a play Leo" I told him.

"Was it" he asked me. He lifted my chin with his finger and our eyes met. His eyes were both strong yet soft. The atmosphere was different then it usually was. It was like the room fell away and the two of us were floating in space.